New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Compatibility with WINDOWS SERVER 2016

Links used in this discussion
Peppi Carta Farsa, User (Posts: 4)
Jul 01, 2019 5:24:28 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, yestarday I installed Remote Utilities (version 6.10.9.0) in my WINDOWS SERVER 2016 and I also updated my old Remote Utilities in my PC to new version 6.10.9.0. So all is running with new version :)
What I'd like to do is connect from my PC to the differents USERS SESSIONS I have in my WONDOWS SERVER 2016. But it seams that is not possible with Remote Utilities. I will explain why. If I use service of your competidor (teamviuwer) this service will provide me for each user session one differents ID to connect to users session. With Remote Utilities it seams that is not so... When I installed Remote Utilities in WINDOWS SERVER 2016 and I added HOST packeg, I will receive one ID for all my users sessions. But in addition to that I have another problem. When I try to connect with my WINDOWS SERVER 2016 the screen I added as file is showed, and there is no way to see DESCKTOP.
Please, let me know if I need to make some changes in setting to have Remote Utilities running well, with the possibilities to connect to differents users sessions.
Thanks for support.
Attached Files
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jul 01, 2019 12:40:30 pm EDT
Hello Peppi,

Thank you for your message.

When I try to connect with my WINDOWS SERVER 2016 the screen I added as file is showed, and there is no way to see DESCKTOP.

Could you please clarify if you use the Full Control mode or the RDP mode when connecting to a remote PC?
If the Full Control mode is used, then please double check if there is security software on your computer that prevents remote connection and/or input emulation typical for remote control software.
In addition, please clarify if you cannot UN-lock the PC by sending Ctrl+Alt+Del command?

When I installed Remote Utilities in WINDOWS SERVER 2016 and I added HOST packeg, I will receive one ID for all my users sessions.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the issue?
If there are multiple remote machines you want to connect to, then you need to deploy the Host or Agent on each remote PC, so this way, each PC gets its own ID.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jul 02, 2019 5:07:55 am EDT
Hi, first, thanks for your reply.

About your first question I reply the follow:
1.1 I try to use Full Control
1.2 There is not any security on my server that prevents remote connection
1.3 About "input emulation typical for remote control software", sorry but I dont understant what means... Can you provide more information about how to check that?
1.4 Yes, I am not able to run "Ctrl+Alt+Del" command. When I run it what I am doing is to run this command to my PC and not to the PC I want connect to. Please, let me know how bypass this problem.

About your second question I reply the follow:
2.1 I installed the Host, but the problem is the follow: machine I want to connect to is only one machine, but it is a server with WINDOWS SERVER 2016, and in this machine I have 12 users sessions. What I want is to connect with each of these 12 users sessions. I cant install on each user session THE HOST because my machine is a server and installation of softwares is centraliced... So I have done one unique installation. As I explaned, using TEAMVIUWER I also did one unique installation... but for each user session I received automatically differents TEAMVIUWER ID's. But using REMOTE UTILITIES for each user session I received only one ID (the same ID for all users sessions). So I'd like understand if is possible to have one unique ID for each user session (where all of users sessions are hosted in the one unique machine with WINDOWS SERVER 2016).

I hope your reply
Edited:Peppi Carta Farsa - Jul 02, 2019 5:09:55 am EDT
Jul 02, 2019 10:46:16 am EDT
Hello Peppi,

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, I am not able to run "Ctrl+Alt+Del" command. When I run it what I am doing is to run this command to my PC and not to the PC I want connect to. Please, let me know how bypass this problem.

Could you please clarify if you tried sending Ctrl + Alt + Del combination to a remote PC using a special toolbar button in the Full Control mode?
Compatibility with WINDOWS SERVER 2016 - 02 Jul 2019 10:28:01
If it doesn't work, please try referring to this Knowledge Base article and see if the issue persists: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/ctrl-alt-del-is-not-sent-to-the-remote-pc/

But using REMOTE UTILITIES for each user session I received only one ID (the same ID for all users sessions). So I'd like understand if is possible to have one unique ID for each user session (where all of users sessions are hosted in the one unique machine with WINDOWS SERVER 2016).

Thank you. With Remote Utilities, you connect to the same ID and then simply switch to a desired terminal session on the toolbar ("Terminal user switch" icon).
Compatibility with WINDOWS SERVER 2016 - 02 Jul 2019 10:34:49

However, if you want each terminal user to have their specific instance of Remote Utilities agent running (and thus have a dedicated ID and connection entry in your address book for each terminal user), then you should use Agent instead of Host. Users don't have to re-download the Agent for each session though - they can leave it on their computer and run on demand. Here is a blog post about the differences between Host and Agent.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Jul 11, 2019 9:36:00 am EDT
Hi,
QUESTION 1: About "Control+ALT+DEL" has been resolved. Thanks.

QUESTION 2: About individual and differents ID for each user session, I have some doubtes...
What I whant for my WINDOWS SERVER with 12 user sessions is:
- Unattended access
- For each of my 12 user sessions I want individual IP, so when I run REMOTE UTILITIES I can have in main screen 12 little screen, so with that I can monitoring all of 12 session without switch througt them... I add picture so you can understand what I want say)
Reading posts and instructions, it seams is not possible to have that. Is it so?
I think it is not possible because:
- To have one individual ID for each user session I need to use AGENT (instead HOST).
- But AGENT dont allow unattended access...
I understood well? Or maybe is there a solution?

I take the oportunity to make QUESTION 3.
In your previously message you told me I can switch throght user using tolbar
https://www.remoteutilities.com/bitrix/components/bitrix/forum.interface/show_file.php?fid=5217
But if for example I enter in USER SESSION 1 in toolbar I only can find one USER 1 and I cant switch using toolbar to USER 2 or 3... I do not know if that is due to the follow: I have setted password for for each of my 12 user sessions... So maybe due to that the rest of user sessions are not showed in toolbar... This is my explacation... But I'd like to know if it is so or if I can do something to switch through users.
At this time to switch from users I am doing the follow:
1. Start "Control+ALT+DEL" command
2. Click to Change USER
3. Start "Control+ALT+DEL" command
4. Insert credentials
It is a little tedious do that for each of my 12  users sessions. If you have some solution it will be welcome.

I hope your reply about QUESTION 2 and 3. Thanks for your professional support.
Attached Files
Jul 11, 2019 4:22:15 pm EDT
Hello Peppi,

Thank you for your message.

About "Control+ALT+DEL" has been resolved. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

- To have one individual ID for each user session I need to use AGENT (instead HOST).
- But AGENT dont allow unattended access...
I understood well? Or maybe is there a solution?

Could you please clarify if you consider using Host with the internet-ID connection option? In this case, you can configure an internet-ID for each Host PC as described in this guide.
If this works for you, you can also configure your custom Host installer with custom settings (such as internet-ID which is configured upon installation and then sent to your email) and then mass deploy Hosts on each of your machines. As an example, please refer to this guide. Also, here's a related Documentation article that might be helpful: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/about-msi-configurator/

But if for example I enter in USER SESSION 1 in toolbar I only can find one USER 1 and I cant switch using toolbar to USER 2 or 3...

Could you please send us a screenshot of the toolbar where only one terminal user is available?

Looking forward to your reply.
Jul 12, 2019 6:22:21 am EDT
Hi Polina,
I think there is something you dont have taken in your mind. I dont have 12 PC... I have 1 PC (one server) and into this server I have 12 user sessions.

1. CHANGE OF ID - If I use the option you proveded me (https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/connecting-over-the-internet/#Configuring_Host)
If for example with USER SESSION 3 I ask for another ID, of course USER SESSION 3 will have a new ID, but this change will be applied also to the rest of others users (USER SESSION 1, 2, 4, 5 ... till 12).
Resultate will be one new ID for all users sessions...
My objective is to have one unique ID for each user session.
I think the problem is I try to do it using one server with differents users sessions. I know I can get what I want using differents PC (I have done it till today with 3 PC). But it seams it is not possible with a server with differents user sessions.
But you know more than me... So I come back to make the same question: Is there a way to have unique ID for each user sessions taken in mind that they are not differents PC, but they are differents user session from one unique machine (a server).

2. SWITCH USERS USING TOOLBAR - When I changed ID from USER SESSION 3, in addition to first session I created (named "#2 administrador") appeared another user (named "#6 usuari3"). Now I can switch between both users. But my question is: In order to show all users in TOOLBAR what I need to do? To change ID from each user? It is very strarge... It sound me like a bug and not like a correct way to work... Even if, of course, maybe I will get my objective... To have all my users in TOOLBAR :)

Please, let me know if I am wrong and if there is a solution to that.
Thanks for your support.
Attached Files
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jul 12, 2019 1:07:49 pm EDT
Hello Peppi,

Host works as a system service, i.e. globally on the operating system level. This means that you cannot create separate host installations for each and every terminal user running on the server.

Unlike Host the Agent works as a user-specific application and therefore multiple Agents can run each one in its own terminal session.

Please, note that when you use Host and want to switch between terminal sessions using the toolbar, the sessions must be active, i.e. running. You cannot create terminal sessions with Remote Utilities, only switch to existing ones.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)