Community

Trial feedback

Links used in this discussion
gabriel ilardi, User (Posts: 6)
Jul 05, 2019 8:11:59 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi All,
We are evaluating Remote Utilies. I didn't find the instructions on how to correctly deploy the host, even though I manage to do it customizing the msi installer, I think these instructions should be added here: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/installing-and-uninstalling/#Installing_Host

I would expect I can connect to computers in Active Directory from the browser, instead it seems this is not possible, they need to be added as connections, this is very uncomfortable.

It would be great to have some extra options via right click on a computer:
Services (start & stop)
Shares (view create/delete)
Printers
Disks (usage)
Event viewer
Users
Groups

Thanks in advance
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Jul 05, 2019 10:37:09 am EDT
Hello Gabriel,

Thank you for your message.

I didn't find the instructions on how to correctly deploy the host, even though I manage to do it customizing the msi installer,

It is mentioned in the Quick Start Guide that the Viewer has advanced built-in tools such as MSI Configurator and Remote Install. These tools are designed to help with administration and deployment across multiple target PCs.
However, I'll pass your feedback along to our team and check if the information could be added to the installation guide.

I would expect I can connect to computers in Active Directory from the browser, instead it seems this is not possible, they need to be added as connections, this is very uncomfortable.

When you install the Viewer on a computer that belongs to the Active Directory network, the Viewer fetches the AD tree automatically and displays it in the Navigation pane on the left side of the main Viewer window. You can add additional domain controllers using the Add domain controller dialog. Here's a relatable section of our Documentation: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/active-directory-integration/

It would be great to have some extra options via right click on a computer:

Some of these features are already available in other connection modes. For example, you can use the Inventory Manager mode to view and save detailed reports about hardware and software installed on remote PCs. There is also the Task Manager mode to view processes, windows, services and users on the remote computer.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Jul 05, 2019 11:42:17 am EDT
Thanks for your feedback Polina,

When you install the Viewer on a computer that belongs to the Active Directory network, the Viewer fetches the AD tree automatically and displays it in the Navigation pane on the left side of the main Viewer window.

They are listed on the left pane, but in order to remote control any computer there you need to add it first as a connection, this is very inconvenient, as it makes static groups that need to be changed every time something changes in AD. See the image (the only options you see are: add as a connection or add all as connections)
Trial feedback - 05 Jul 2019 11:42:51

It would be much better to implement the right context menu directly in AD, as you see in connections, like this:
Trial feedback - 05 Jul 2019 11:40:37

Thanks
Edited:gabriel ilardi - Jul 05, 2019 11:43:18 am EDT
Jul 05, 2019 3:19:00 pm EDT
Hello Gabriel,

Thank you for your suggestion.

We already have a similar feature in our wish list and we plan to release it in our upcoming updates in the nearest future.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Jul 10, 2019 10:43:36 am EDT
Hello Polina,
I do have more suggestions:
- The end point receives a message stating COMPUTERNAME (IP ADDRESS) has connected, it would be nice if it showed also the username.
- While listing active directory computers it would be nice to see the computer comments and to be able to sort the list by computer name/comment (you can do it now but you need to add them first as connections, this is really inconvenient).
- To be able to add as a connection you need to be in the right panel, you can't add to a connection directly via right clicking on the left panel. (better yet as suggested before directly connecting to it without the need to add it as a connection).
- When you start typing to search, the results show the first characters of the computer name highlighted instead of the whole computer name with just the typed characters highlighted.
- The icons on the upper bar while you have selected a computer don't work, if you click on them you see at the bottom the action (i.e. Remote Registry, Send message) but nothing happens, you need to right click on the computer and choose the action.

Thanks
Edited:gabriel ilardi - Jul 11, 2019 3:14:17 am EDT
Jul 10, 2019 2:52:46 pm EDT
Hello Gabriel,

Thank you for your suggestions.

The end point receives a message stating COMPUTERNAME (IP ADDRESS) has connected, it would be nice if it showed also the username.

We plan to implement a similar feature at some point in the future, but, unfortunately, I cannot give you any ETA.

When you start typing to search, the results show the first characters of the computer name highlighted instead of the whole computer name with just the typed characters highlighted.

If you search for the connection in the address book, the whole computer name with just the typed characters highlighted is displayed in the search results as it's shown on the screenshot:
Trial feedback - 10 Jul 2019 02:36:03
If you mean anything else, could you please elaborate a bit more on the question?

The icons on the upper bar while you have selected a computer don't work, if you click on them you seen at the bottom the action (i.e. Remote Registry, Send message) but nothing happens, you need to right click on the computer and choose the action.

Thank you.
I will forward your suggestions to our team and we'll see what we can do.
Jul 11, 2019 3:13:40 am EDT
Hello Polina,

Sorry, I haven't explained myself right about the search, I mean searching in active directory while in thumbnails view, see the screenshot:

Trial feedback - 11 Jul 2019 03:12:36
Jul 11, 2019 9:51:02 am EDT
Hello Gabriel,

Thank you for the clarification.

Please try switching to the List view or the Details view in the Viewer. This way, you have different columns enabled and arranged the way you need. A table view is always preferable when working with multiple entries because it allows you to easily sort your records.

Hope that helps.
Jul 11, 2019 10:24:15 am EDT

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:
Please try switching to the  List view  or the  Details view  in the Viewer. This way, you have different columns enabled and arranged the way you need. A table view is always preferable when working with multiple entries because it allows you to easily sort your records.

Sure, already done. Thanks
Jul 23, 2019 8:22:25 am EDT
Hello Polina,
I have another feedback, after browsing Active Directory and adding all computers as connections they do not appear in the "All connections" item menu at the root of the tree:

Trial feedback - 23 Jul 2019 08:22:06

Thanks

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)