Community

connectivity issue

Links used in this discussion
Jim Waller, User (Posts: 2)
Jul 12, 2019 11:05:57 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
OK, Here we go, I'm trying to resolve connectivity issues between myself and my fathers PC.  He's running Windows Vista on this home PC with a ADSL internet connection provided by Verizon. I walked him through downloading and installing your latest version of Host, I in turn am using a laptop with Windows 10 PRO installed, I downloaded and installed your latest version of Viewer 6.10.10.0, in viewer I created a new address book entry for a direct connect in full control mode.  I stepped my father through the process of discovering his public ip address using website www.myip.com, once we had this I tested the connectivity by pinging that address from my pc and got replies.  OK so when I try to connect I get a initializing connection message, then a message basically saying unable to connect and the viewer retries to connect about 4-5 more times, same results.  My  thought was that Windows Firewall was causing the issues, so instead of going through the hassle to trying over the telephone to have him check the exceptions option within firewall for the host program I decided to just eliminate windows firewall all together and walked him through turning Windows Firewall off.  It hasn't seemed to make a difference, I checked that both the viewer and host programs were configured to use port 5650.  To make certain I downloaded from Microsoft's website the portqry utility and was able to using his ip query port 5650 to make sure it was open on his PC, it was, only possible concern I had the results show that the port was 'Filtered', looking through web I found an article that eluded to something saying this might be caused by windows firewall, I went back and verified that windows is now showing the firewall is 'Off'.  The only thing I haven't tried yet was to change the connect to an 'Internet-ID connection.  Any help you can be with this I would appreciate.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Jul 12, 2019 4:12:05 pm EDT
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if your laptop and your father's PC are on the same LAN or VPN? If this is the case, please refer to this troubleshooting guide: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/cannot-connect-using-direct-connection/

If you intend to use the Direct connection over the Internet, you will need access to your router settings on the Host side in order to create a port forwarding rule. Please, refer to this article for more information on setting up port forwarding for the Host: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/how-do-i-set-up-port-forwarding-for-the-host/

Let me know if the issue persists.
Jim Waller, User (Posts: 2)
Jul 12, 2019 4:35:57 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Polina,
No these two devices are not on the same LAN, this is an over the internet direct connection.  As far as I remember on the remote side all there is is a DSL modem for his connectivity to the internet.  Personally, I wouldn't know if this modem acts as a router or not, nor how to access any user interface if there is one.  Trying to speak my father through this could be difficult as he is 80 yrs old and he is like speaking to a 5 yr old when he calls for help, which is why I'm trying desperately to get a remote desktop solution working.  Jim
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Jul 12, 2019 5:50:46 pm EDT
Hello Jim,

Thank you for the clarification.

I think you can consider using a One-click installer. This way, you can build an easy-to-install Host package. The output .exe file is a self-extracting Host installer with your custom settings, so your father will only need to run the file to install the Host on his computer.
Using One-click installer also lets you enable Internet-ID connection on Host and configure Host to send the Internet-ID access credentials to you via email.
Here's a related guide on MSI-configurator tool which is used to build a One-click package and might be helpful as well: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/about-msi-configurator/
And here's a guide on configuring the One-click package: https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/one-click-package/

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)