Community

Ability to run Host + Agent on one machine

Horst Beham, User (Posts: 2)
Sep 05, 2019 7:04:58 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I am an application developer who often has to provide on-demand remote support to my clients' users, who run my application locally on their machines.
For that, they start a customized RU Agent that I bundle with my application for easy access.

My clients are small companies without dedicated IT departments. They use external IT service providers to manage their hard and software. These IT service providers also install remote access software on the client machines, typically a "Host" service that they can always access even without user interaction.

In the past I used the product of a competitor, but since more and more of my clients have the "Host" of that other product installed and IT-Admins often hide the password from users and don't allow them to terminate the Host, a user is not able to grant me access to the running Host, nor can he start an Agent (of that competitor product), because that is blocked by the Host.

Now, as long as no IT-Admin of any of my clients is using RU Host, I am good to go with my RU Agent.
But that could change at any time when they also decide to switch to RU.
Therefore it would be great if there was a way allow Host + Agent to co-exist on a machine for a scenario like mine.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Sep 05, 2019 5:26:35 pm EDT
Hello Horst,

Thank you for your message.

Therefore it would be great if there was a way allow Host + Agent to co-exist on a machine for a scenario like mine.

Unfortunately, there is no such feature yet that would let Host and Agent run in the system simultaneously, and we do not plan to implement such features in our future updates.

I'm sorry if this makes the program less useful for you.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)