Community

Cannot run 6.10 portable as administrator

James Wilson, User (Posts: 5)
Oct 08, 2019 1:29:45 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
When I try to start MSI configurator, it tells me to exit and to run as Administrator.  I try to do this and nothing happens.  Try rebooting, still nothing.  It will run fine normally, but it will not let me "Run as Administrator"

Thanks,
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Oct 08, 2019 11:39:58 am EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if your Windows user account is an Administrator? If it is, please try fully exiting the Viewer (File ➝ Exit). Then right-click on the Viewer shortcut on the desktop and try running the Viewer as administrator again.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
Oct 08, 2019 10:31:33 pm EDT
Yes, my user is an administrator, and I have fully exited the application as well.  The computer is a fresh install of Windows, and I have recently tried my other laptop as well, where this shows the same issue.  I have even rebooted the computer as well.

Please be sure to see the topic, this is the Portable version of the viewer, so there would not be a Desktop shortcut unless I had actually made one.

Thank you
Oct 08, 2019 11:14:04 pm EDT
OK.

I did indeed create my own shortcut on my desktop.  Right-clicking on the said shortcut and going to "Run as Administrator" does not work via the shortcut but you can go to the Properties of the shortcut and go to the compatibility tab and check the "Run this program as Administrator" checkbox there and it will work fine.

you can also go directly to the file in the portable folder and right-click "Run as Administrator" from there and that works fine as well.  This did not work when I posted this, but it is working now.

Thanks,
Edited:James Wilson - Oct 08, 2019 11:14:59 pm EDT
Oct 09, 2019 5:08:25 pm EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for your message.

I'm glad to hear it works for you now!
I also tried both options: running the Viewer as an administrator fr om the Portable Viewer folder and running it from the shortcut I created on the desktop - both ways work as expected.

However, I have forwarded the issue to our developers and asked for their input on what might be causing the issue. Could you please let me know what Windows OS do you use on the machine wh ere you've encountered the issue?

Looking forward to your reply.
Oct 09, 2019 11:44:44 pm EDT
windows 10 home 1903 with all current updates as of this post.  Also to mention that this was a fresh install from a ISO created from the Microsoft Media Creation download from Microsoft, made in September of this year.

64 bit windows install

good luck
Oct 10, 2019 9:25:33 am EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for the provided details.

I checked with our developers. Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue in our environment. The issue might be caused by some specific rights/permissions that are set on your computer.

Please let me know if you have other questions.
Oct 10, 2019 10:56:15 am EDT
I found it rather strange as well, I don't have any special permissions going on.  Just a clean install of Windows. Since it is not the Pro version, we are not connected to any domain's or anything.  Really strange I know.

Thanks for your help,

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)