Community

Internet-ID server logs

Links used in this discussion
John Wood, User (Posts: 6)
Oct 17, 2019 4:54:47 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm using Internet-ID connection using the default RU server. Is there any way I can check for the history of when my remote host machine was running and connected to the RU server?

My understanding is that the host regularly pings the server when it is operating. But when I open the viewer and see no connection available, it's not clear to me whether it's a problem with the host, or further upstream. A view of when the host was online would help debug this.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Oct 17, 2019 10:14:38 am EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

Of course, you can check it either in the Host logs or in the RU Server logs. You can find the RU Server connection logs in the following location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Server\stat and the Host logs are located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\.

Also, you can check what Hosts are listening to the Server on the Idle tab of the Server's Admin Console. If there are currently any connections that are established using the server, they are shown on the Active tab of the Admin Console.

Hope that helps.
Oct 17, 2019 11:40:36 am EDT
Hello Polina,
Thanks for the reply.
The only access I have to the remote host is via RU Viewer, so I can't see any of its logs unless I can make a connection - it's in another country. I'm using the server operated by Remote Utilities, not one running on my own machine, so I don't think I can see its logs - or can I?
My situation is that I could log into the remote host yesterday, but today it says Offline/unknown. So it would be really helpful if I could see that e.g. the remote host was communicating to the server up until 1am then it stopped. Or perhaps that something else in the communication chain was broken.

Best wishes
Oct 17, 2019 3:10:30 pm EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm using the server operated by Remote Utilities, not one running on my own machine, so I don't think I can see its logs - or can I?

Yes, sorry for misleading, I misunderstood this part of your message, thought that you've meant the self-hosted server. You are right, in order to check the Host logs you need to be able to connect to the remote Host machine.

Could you please also let me know if you mean something that would show when the Host was online for the last time? If this is the case, then we plan to implement such a feature: a column in the Viewer that will show when the Host was online for the last time, so it would help to troubleshoot some connection issues like the one you've described above. We already have this feature in our wishlist, but, unfortunately, cannot provide any specific ETA on it.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Oct 18, 2019 4:55:31 am EDT
Hello Polina,

Yes - a 'last time contacted' would certainly help, so please add my vote to this. Even better would be a timeline graph, or a log list of online/offline times.

I look forward to seeing it when it comes out.
Thanks
Oct 18, 2019 11:39:07 am EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I will forward it to our developers for the review and we'll see what we can do.

Please do not hesitate to post another message if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)