New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

MSI Install via GPO

Links used in this discussion
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Oct 08, 2019 7:25:04 pm EDT
I am seeing an issue that so far appears to be random, but I am trying to resolve.

I deploy the host component to PCs in most cases via group policy. However, there are some occasions where the host will be installed on a system prior to the machine being joined to the domain.
I always deploy the host component via the same installer [msi] file.

I have just completed a setup of 15 machines, in around 10 of these installs, the RU host was installed manually prior to the joining of the machine to the domain.

What happens is that after the machine is domain joined and rebooted, group policy installs the software as normal, and the 'Remote Utilities - Host' service is removed from the service list. The software is not uninstalled, all files and shortcuts remain in place. Just the service is removed.

During this install it happened on 3 of the 15 machines, and I have seen the same behaviour many times before.

Is there a way to:
a. Find out what might create this problem
b. Re-install the service without having the completely remove the program first?

Matthew
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Oct 09, 2019 12:32:10 pm EDT
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your message.

This issue might be caused by the Host installation folder being somehow corrupted by some firewall/antivirus software since you've mentioned that the issue occurred when the PCs were added to the domain. Please check if there are rfusclient.exe and rutserv.exe files in the Remote Utilities Host installation folder: C:\Program Files(x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\. Also, here's a relatable KB article on troubleshooting the Host service.

If the Host installation folder was corrupted, it's best to completely uninstall the program and then install it from scratch. You can push-install the Host across your Windows network using GPO or the Remote Install tool.
Also, it's highly recommended that you add the Host installation folder to the antivirus/firewall software exceptions list to avoid future problems in this regard.

Hope that helps.
Dec 04, 2019 6:40:55 pm EST
I have been wrestling with this and it has become more frequent as I continue to roll out the client software. I am now at the point where I need a second method of remote access on all machines to ensure I can access them.

The issue only occurs when the client is being installed fr om MSI via group policy software installation.
The installation is fine, and the system works, then randomly the service "Remote Utilities - Host" disappears from the services list. This seems to happen only on reboots as far as I can tell, and I have not been able to find anything in the event log about it at all.

Even though the service is missing, the software itself does not get uninstalled, it still exists in programs and features, and all files remain present in the Program Files directory.

Could it be some sort of issue in the MSI installer wh ere it is re-run by group policy, and fails to correctly complete, which then removes the service?
Edited:Matthew Cooper - Dec 04, 2019 6:41:32 pm EST
Dec 05, 2019 11:58:18 am EST
Hello Matthew,

Could you please clarify if there is any antivirus/firewall software installed on the Host machines where the issue occurs?
In addition, could you please provide us the following information from a few of those Host machines for examination:
1. Windows System Events Log. Here's a guide on how to export it.
2. Host settings registry key. In order to export the registry key please open the Windows Registry Editor and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host.
Right-click on the key, select Export and save the .reg file
3. Host log files. The host log files can be found in  the C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs folder.

You can send the required files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Dec 07, 2019 12:04:35 am EST
Thanks Polina

There is antivirus on the machines yes - Webroot Secure Anyware. I see nothing in the log for it to show that it has flagged any files or services. Also, this same antivirus is on systems that are not domain joined and have never displayed this problem.

I have sent through the information requested from a system this has happened on, except the Host log files as the system in question does not have that folder. The software is set to log into the event log.

Matthew
Dec 09, 2019 10:53:40 am EST
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately, we haven't received any emails fr om you. Could you please resend the information to support@remoteutilities.com once again?

In addition, please let me know if I'm right in assuming that the issue does not occur on the Host machines that are not domain-joined and have the same Webroot Secure Anyware antivirus software installed?
Also, if it's possible, please try completely re-installing the Host on one of the machines wh ere the issue occurred, then add the Host installation folder (C:\Program Files(x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\) to the antivirus exception list before rebooting the machine.

Another thing that might help us to isolate the issue would be if you could try installing the Host via the same msi installer on the machine with no antivirus software installed and see if the issue occurs in this case.

Dec 15, 2019 9:53:09 pm EST
Hi Polina

I have resent the information through to you.

I can confirm that when I install the software from the MSI on machines that are not domain joined, I have not experienced this issue.

I can also confirm that if I install the software using the MSI via group policy on a domain joined machine that does NOT run any antivirus, I have still experienced this issue.

I have found that when the issue occurs and I perform a complete reinstall of the software, it does work. I am unsure if the problem has occurred a second time on the same machine currently.
After raising this ticket, I have created an allow rule in the webroot console that marks the remote utilities software as excluded, however, this has not solved the issue, and it has happened on another 2 systems since then. Additionally, webroot has not logged any mention of the remote utilities software that I can find, which would seem to indicate that it is not the cause of the issue.

Matthew
Dec 16, 2019 8:57:09 am EST
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for the provided information.

We received an email from you, but, unfortunately, it does not contain any attached files. Could you please try resending it once again? You can also upload the requested files on Dropbox and send us a link if this would be more convenient.

Ondrej, User (Posts: 10)
Nov 10, 2020 6:29:22 am EST
Hi Matthew,

did you resolve your issue? We have exactly the same problem. On some computers service is missing after GPO install.

Thanks.

BR,
Ondrej
Nov 10, 2020 9:08:39 am EST
Hello Ondrej,

Could you please clarify if there's any antivirus/firewall software installed on the remote Host machines where the issue occurs? If this is the case, then could you please try adding the Host installation folder C:\Program Files(x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\ to the antivirus/firewall software exception list? Please note that in case if the service is missing on the machine after installation, you might need to completely uninstall the Host and then reinstall it from scratch.

In addition, could you please let us know which version of Remote Utilities you're trying to install? In case if it's version 6.10.10.0 or even an older version, then please try configuring a custom MSI installation file and installing Hosts using the latest 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version as the issue might have already been resolved in this version.
The 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page. Please make sure to use Viewer and Host/Agent of the same version as the version mismatch might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

Please let us know if the solutions above did not help and the issue persists even when using the latest version of Remote Utilities.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)