New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

RU server connection via DNS

Links used in this discussion
Andreas Lehmann, User (Posts: 20)
Jan 14, 2020 5:54:24 am EST
The connection via a DNS server has stopped working recently. No changes were made. The local connection works without problems. All ports are enabled in the firewall or on the router. However, suddenly no connection can be established from outside to the server.

This problem occurs regularly. Most of the time, simply restarting the service helps. This time the server is not accessible from outside, even after a new installation.

Image 1 Server : The local server can be reached.
Unfortunately it is no longer possible via the DNS server!

Image 2 and 3 : Settings from RU Server.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Andreas
Attached Files
RU server connection via DNS RU server connection via DNS RU server connection via DNS
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 14, 2020 12:13:43 pm EST
Hello Andreas,

Thank you for your message.

The issue might be caused by some issues with the DNS resolution, for example, it might occur if some free/public DNS service is used.
Please try the following:
1. On the Viewer/remote Host machine (depends on which module cannot connect to the RU Server) launch the Run dialog by press Win + R. Type cmd and click OK (or hit Enter). The Command Prompt will open.
In the Command Prompt type in nslookup and the DNS which is used to point to the IP address and see if it resolves properly:
RU server connection via DNS - 14 Jan 2020 12:49:30
In case if it does resolve properly, you should be able to see the IP address the DNS is pointing to in the nslookup output.

2. Please try using your external IP address as the server address instead of the DNS name and see if it's possible to connect to the RU Server this way. Namely, you need to specify the server address in the Host settings, Connection properties on the Viewer's side and in the Viewer's Server manager as well (if you use RU Server's sync and authorization roles).

Please let me know if the issue persists.
Jan 16, 2020 8:16:49 am EST
Thank you for your reply.

Specifying my public IP address directly instead of the DNS service does not work either. I cannot connect to the RU server. NSLOOKUP works flawlessly and the DNS service also works without problems, since I can also establish my VPN connections using this DNS service.

I would be grateful for a problem solution, because this way your program cannot be used.

Thx

Andreas
Edited:Andreas Lehmann - Jan 16, 2020 8:17:53 am EST
Jan 16, 2020 6:00:38 pm EST
Hello Andreas,

Thank you for the clarification.

Before we proceed to further troubleshooting could you please try flushing your DNS cache by executing the following command in the command-line interface:
ipconfig /flushdns
In case if after flushing the DNS cache the issue still persists, could you please send us the Host logs as well as the Viewer logs and the Server log files for examination?
Here's how to locate the Viewer logs.
The Host logs are located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\ folder.
The Server logs can be found in the following locations:
Event and error log — C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Server\Logs
Connection log — C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Server\stat
You can send all the log files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jan 17, 2020 5:34:21 am EST
I found the problem. Several network cards are installed in the server. The RU server probably used a network card without a network or internet connection. So of course no connection could be made. Thanks anyway for your support!

Will there be a possibility in the future to program the software in such a way that a network card can be assigned to it, similar to Hyper-V

Andreas
Edited:Andreas Lehmann - Jan 17, 2020 5:43:55 am EST
Jan 17, 2020 9:49:06 am EST
Hello Andreas,

I'm glad to hear you've figured out the issue!

Will there be a possibility in the future to program the software in such a way that a network card can be assigned to it, similar to Hyper-V

Thank you for the suggestion. We will certainly add this feature to our wishlist, so it would be implemented in our future updates.

Please do not hesitate to reach us if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)