New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

MSI configurator proxy connection issues

Links used in this discussion
cosmos, User (Posts: 76)
Feb 05, 2020 5:53:19 am EST
I'm testing remote utilities on a LAN behind a proxy server. Access to the internet is only possible through this server, with some heavy URL filtering being cast on outgoing connections.

I've installed a viewer on a system and ran the agent (no-install version) on another. The agent manages to get an internet-id, as long as I enter the proxy address and port. The viewer also works fine, as long as the proxy details are configured as per https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/connect-through-proxy/#Configuring_proxy_on_the_Viewer_side

My problem is that I can't get the MSI configurator to connect to your site. I've configured tools -> default connection properties -> Network -> proxy settings appropriately, but during MSI generation the viewer throws a "can't connect to configuration server..." error.

Any ideas what to look for here? Again, I can remotely control other systems just fine with the same viewer, it's the MSI configurator that creates a problem for me here...
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 05, 2020 2:35:04 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Default connection properties allow you to specify settings for the remote connections that you add to the address book. Please note that connection properties do not affect global Viewer settings as they're intended to define how exactly you connect to a specific remote Host machine.
Unfortunately, configuring a custom Host installation package or Agent using the MSI Configurator tool is currently possible only from a Viewer that is not located behind a proxy server. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Feb 05, 2020 3:41:43 pm EST
Thank you for your response. I've used to offline configurator to accomplish this task; seems to work fine.

I do need your suggestion on how to deploy though. My usage scenario is:

* using my own custom relay server
* using the free version of the software
* many clients but I'll not be keeping them in an address book. I'll connect to a user remotely, finish the job and then remove the connection on the viewer. No need to have something permanently
* deployment of agent will be by running the custom MSI but
* since there are privacy concerns, I do not want the user on the viewer to be able to access a host whenever he/she chooses to. That is, is it possible for a new internet-id and/or a new password to be generated automatically on the agent, each time the agent is started (via reboot for example)? Or, for example, the agent to automatically turn off the ID after a reboot?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
Feb 05, 2020 6:04:08 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your questions.

using my own custom relay server

You can specify your self-hosted server on Step 3: Advanced options of the configuration process:
Sel ect the Specify custom Internet-ID server radio button and click on the Server button.

using the free version of the software

In order to get the free license key please refer to this free license key generator. When you have obtained the license key you can register the Viewer following this guide. Other program modules such as Host, Agent, and RU Server do not require registration.

since there are privacy concerns, I do not want the user on the viewer to be able to access a host whenever he/she chooses to. That is, is it possible for a new internet-id and/or a new password to be generated automatically on the agent, each time the agent is started (via reboot for example)? Or, for example, the agent to automatically turn off the ID after a reboot?

It is possible to restrict the technician at the Viewer fr om accessing remote machines whenever they want. However, please note that currently there is no such feature that allows generating a new password each time the Agent is run. We already have it in our wishlist and we will implement it in our future updates.

There are still a few ways you can restrict the technician at the Viewer:
1. Use the Agent module instead of Host. A remote session established with Agen is only active while Agent is running. Once the Agent window is closed, the session is terminated, i.e. Agent does require someone being present at the remote PC side to actually start the Agent, so this connection method is suitable for attended support only. Using Agent instead of Host might be especially convenient since you have mentioned that you won't be keeping the connections in the address book, so using customized Agent that does not require installation might be more convenient for your clients as well.
For more information on attended support please refer to this Documentation page.
2. You can also enable the Ask user permission feature. This way a remote user to accept or reject an incoming connection. You can enable the feature in Settings for Host -> Security -> Confirmation tab:
MSI configurator proxy connection issues - 05 Feb 2020 05:39:52
This feature can also be enabled in the Agent's Advanced Settings menu:
MSI configurator proxy connection issues - 05 Feb 2020 05:43:35
Finally, if you're using the MSI Configurator tool, you can enable this feature as well: on Step 4: Settings update of the configuration process select the Preconfigure radio button and select the Security Settings checkbox. This way, you're able to configure a custom installation package with the Security settings you've specified.

Hope that helps.
Feb 06, 2020 2:33:55 am EST

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:

since there are privacy concerns, I do not want the user on the viewer to be able to access a host whenever he/she chooses to. That is, is it possible for a new internet-id and/or a new password to be generated automatically on the agent, each time the agent is started (via reboot for example)? Or, for example, the agent to automatically turn off the ID after a reboot?

It is possible to restrict the technician at the Viewer fr om accessing remote machines whenever they want. However, please note that currently there is no such feature that allows generating a new password each time the Agent is run. We already have it in our wishlist and we will implement it in our future updates.

2. You can also enable the  Ask user permission  feature. This way a remote user to accept or reject an incoming connection. You can enable the feature in  Settings for Host -> Security -> Confirmation tab :

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Awesome software BTW!
Feb 06, 2020 2:55:18 am EST
Polina I've created a custom MSI host, with a (very) long password under Security -> Authorization -> Single Password. The password is something like ASDx78qwedx7A(*xyeas78ctwe689c(XCTASXT87 (yeah, I know :) )

However, trying to connect to the client the password is not accepted. Is there some sort of limitation regarding the password length and/or the allowed characters (ie are only number allowed?) ?
Feb 06, 2020 3:47:37 am EST

cosmos wrote:

Polina I've created a custom MSI host, with a (very) long password under Security -> Authorization -> Single Password. The password is something like ASDx78qwedx7A(*xyeas78ctwe689c(XCTASXT87 (yeah, I know :) )

However, trying to connect to the client the password is not accepted. Is there some sort of limitation regarding the password length and/or the allowed characters (ie are only number allowed?) ?

There seems to be an issue with the (offline) MSI configurator. When the custom host is installed to a system, it does not keep the password I've specified. Perhaps, I'm doing something wrong, will open another thread for the issue.

We can close this as solved :)
Feb 06, 2020 10:13:52 am EST
Hello,

Thank you for the kind words!

There seems to be an issue with the (offline) MSI configurator. When the custom host is installed to a system, it does not keep the password I've specified. Perhaps, I'm doing something wrong, will open another thread for the issue.

Could you please clarify if I'm right in assuming that the password you've set up while configuring the Host is not saved when the Host is installed? Please double check that there was no other password set during the Host's installation process. In case if you're using Agent, please double check if the same password is still shown in the Agent's window.
We have just tried reproducing the issue, i.e. configured both Host and Agent using the offline option of the MSI configurator, however, the password stays the same every time.
If you mean something else, please elaborate a bit more on the issue?

Looking forward to your reply.
Feb 06, 2020 1:09:52 pm EST
Polina, strike that out. Everything worked fine, I must have entered something wrong during MSI creation.
Feb 06, 2020 2:13:45 pm EST
Hello,

I'm glad to hear it works for you!

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)