New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Viewer on multiple computers

Links used in this discussion
Bopsie2, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 24, 2020 11:16:24 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything.  I have questions about using Remote Utilities on different computers.  I am using the Free version.  (Thanks for providing the Free Version: it is very useful for the occasional support I do.)  It is currently installed on a desktop.  I have 5 hosts defined.  I would also like to have the Viewer on the 2 laptops that I use at times.  On all 3 computers, I want to have access to the same set of Hosts.  My questions:

1) Can I use my 1 free Viewer license on 3 different computers?  If yes, how do I do that?

2) If no to 1), then can I get 3 Free version licenses?

3) If (somehow) I have the Viewer installed on 3 computers, how do I get my Hosts on each Viewer?  And how do I keep them in sync if I add or remove a host?

Thanks
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 25, 2020 5:16:08 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

1) Can I use my 1 free Viewer license on 3 different computers? If yes, how do I do that?

Sure, even if you use the free license, you are not restricted to a specific workstation given that you're the only tech. This means that you can install this license on any number of computers so long as there's only one tech working with the license at a given moment, e.g. you can install and register the Viewer on your home PC, your laptop and your office PC and work from any of those workstations — one at a time. For more information, please refer to this KB article.
However, please note, that with the free license you only can add up to 10 records in your address book with which you can actively work, including concurrent use (i.e. connect to a few remote Host from your Viewer).
To register the Viewer with the free license key, please follow this tutorial. Other program modules such as Host, Agent, and RU Server do not require registration.

3) If (somehow) I have the Viewer installed on 3 computers, how do I get my Hosts on each Viewer? And how do I keep them in sync if I add or remove a host?

There are a few ways to sync address books on a few different Viewers:

1. You can manually export and import the address books. Please note, that while using this method, when you upd ate one copy, the other copy is not upd ated. Manual export/import can be used when you have few records in your address book or when you don't update records often.

2. You can se t up the address books to sync automatically through a shared resource, such as a Dropbox or OneDrive folder. This method would suit you if you're the only person who works with the software. To se t up the address book sync via shared resource, please refer to this tutorial.

3. You might also consider using the Portable Viewer as an alternative to the installable version, as it's easier than installing Viewer on each workstation and setting up a shared address book. In this case, you simply need to create your address book in the Viewer (Portable Viewer stores its all files in a single folder that you can take with you anywhere). Then you can copy the entire portable Viewer folder to Dropbox and run the Viewer executable (rutview.exe) from there on each workstation you work from. For more information on the Portable Viewer please refer to this Documentation page.

Hope that helps.
Bopsie2, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 26, 2020 8:17:19 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Thanks for your very clear response!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 27, 2020 11:54:30 am EST
Hello,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)