New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Clean Boot Windows 10 on remote host

Links used in this discussion
Mike Wort, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 31, 2020 10:14:23 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Host & Viewer V: 6.10.10.0
I am trying to troubleshoot for an 80+ year old lady which involves trying to Clean Boot her machine and disable various programs to try to isolate the cause.  I've followed the microsoft instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows and managed to lock myself out.  After a long time I managed to talk her into restoring my connection.  If I disable everything except the Remote Utilities - Host in her machines 'Services' tab will I still have access?
I don't want to have to talk her through restoring my access and visiting is out of the question with Covid-19.
Many thanks
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 31, 2020 5:44:57 pm EDT
Hello Mike,

Thank you for your message.

If I disable everything except the Remote Utilities - Host in her machines 'Services' tab will I still have access?

Yes, this should work. The issue you've encountered occurred because of all the services being turned off, including the Host service, as its service must be running on the remote Host PC in order for the Host to work properly.
In addition, when turning off the services and rebooting the remote computer, please make sure that rfusclient.exe and rutserv.exe system processes are running on the Processes tab of the task manager.
Also, here's a related KB article that might be useful in your scenario.

Hope that helps.
Mike Wort, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 01, 2020 7:11:19 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Brilliant.  Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.

Mike
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 01, 2020 5:36:27 pm EDT
Hello Mike,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions. We're happy to assist!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)