Community

Self-hosted server Tutorial

Links used in this discussion
john Randal, User (Posts: 120)
Apr 20, 2020 2:58:48 pm EDT
Have you considered making a video on Youtube  or else where,  showing  a tutorial on adding this feature so we can connect directly. This I think would be a HUGE help for us that just don't get it???
A HUGE HELP!
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 20, 2020 3:02:47 pm EDT
Hi John,

That is exactly what we are going to do very soon - to publish a series of videos that explain how to set up different program features, including the self-hosted server. I am sorry for the delay.

Thank you for your support!
john Randal, User (Posts: 120)
Apr 20, 2020 8:25:02 pm EDT
That would be Awesome, I know a tutorial on setting up our own server for say 5 computers or more would be excellent plus it would free up some of your resources too!  GREAT NEWS Cant wait!
Thank you
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Apr 25, 2020 12:42:31 am EDT
Their documentation is actually really good. https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/ru-server/

What are your issues with their current instructions that a video would help? It's quicker to just say, "when I get to step X, I don't know what to click" or whatever.

But I'm not sure if you understand the feature, since self-hosted server is just your own RELAY instead of RUT's public ones, and still doesn't "connect directly". For that, it's actually outside of RUT's scope so that will depend on your router and network connection, and that's WAY too broad to have a useful video. That needs some basic technical experience to configure direct connect (unless you have IPv6).

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)