Community

Multiple Viewer workstations?

Links used in this discussion
Dave Moran, User (Posts: 10)
May 11, 2020 10:26:33 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
I am a lone ranger with a Home office PC (Win7) and three remote PCs, namely Remote 1 (Win10), Remote 2 (Win7) & Remote 3 (Win7).
With a Free version of RU, will I be able to work from multiple Viewer workstations – one at a time?
And for each workstation, do I therefore need to have both Viewer and Host installed on each one?

With thanks in advance.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
May 12, 2020 4:54:36 am EDT
Hello Dave,

Thank you for your message.

With a Free version of RU, will I be able to work from multiple Viewer workstations – one at a time?

Yes.

And for each workstation, do I therefore need to have both Viewer and Host installed on each one?

No, you don't have to install both modules on each computer. Viewer and Host perform different tasks. Viewer is the admin/tech module with which you actually "work" when you are on remote session whereas the Host is a "listening" component installed on remote machines. Both modules are necessary for a remote session - each on its own side of a remote connection.

Let me know if you have other questions.
May 12, 2020 6:52:05 am EDT
Many thanks for the clarification Conrad - much appreciated!

I'm basically looking at unattended access hook-ups only, so just the Viewer module will suffice on each PC. Cool.
Now it's a case of seeing how I go with the 'test drives'.

Cheers.
May 12, 2020 10:43:58 pm EDT
Oopps – more clarification required please. Here’s an elaboration.

I have now downloaded and installed RU Viewer on my Home office PC. From my HO PC I wish to be able to access (one at a time) Remote 1, Remote 2 and Remote 3 with no-one being at the remote PCs at the time –ie. unattended access. In reading some of the documentation it’s telling me that I need to install the Host component on each of them and then generate an Internet ID on each.

But wait, there’s more! When I am physically on site at say Remote 1, I wish to be able to access my HO PC, and/or also be able to access so-called Remote 2 (from Remote 1). That is to say, in RU-speak, each of the 4 PCs will at times be used as both an ‘admin PC’ and/or a ‘target computer’.

If all I need is the Viewer on each of my four respective PCs, then I haven’t yet found how with Viewer one can generate a given PC’s Internet ID?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
May 13, 2020 3:18:22 pm EDT
Hello Dave,

Thank you for your message.

If all I need is the Viewer on each of my four respective PCs, then I haven’t yet found how with Viewer one can generate a given PC’s Internet ID?

Actually, in the described scenario you need to install both modules on each computer - Viewer for when you need to access a remote machine from this computer and a Host installed on a remote machine. The Viewer is used to connect to Host/Agent, i.e. it's not possible to connect from Viewer to Viewer, you can connect from Viewer to Host or Agent.

Here's also a Quick Start guide that provides basic information about the program and helps to establish your first Internet-ID connection.

Hope that helps.
May 13, 2020 6:30:46 pm EDT
Got it. Thank you for that Polina. All good!

Cheers.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
May 14, 2020 5:56:01 pm EDT
Hello Dave,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.
Leo, User (Posts: 12)
Jun 14, 2020 7:22:35 am EDT
Hello Dave,
You probably allready set up both viewer and host on each of the computers.
There is however another possibility... (this is how I work)
On each of the computers you wish to access remotely, you need to install the host.
Download the portable viewer and put it on a USB stick. Activate the free license on that portable version.
Now allways carry the usb-stick with you and no matter where you are, even on the other side of the world, you'll be able to remotely connect to and control the hosted computers.
Additionaly you won't get in the situation where the viewer license accidentaly is in use on more than one location.
Of course you should make a backup of the portable version in case your usb stick goes into the great void.

Have a nice day.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Jun 14, 2020 4:18:21 pm EDT
Thank you Leo,

More information about Portable Viewer is available here. Also,  we highly recommend that anyone using the portable Viewer enables address book encryption as a means of protection against unauthorized access to remote computers in case the USB stick is lost or stolen. This is especially important if the "save password" option is used on remote connections in the address book.
Jun 14, 2020 11:02:46 pm EDT
Hi Leo,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond with your posting. I do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

As it happens you guessed right – I have already set up both viewer and host on each of the 4 PCs involved in my world and all is working fine for me so far.
I do follow/understand your suggestion on what you do and note your warning about the possibility of leaving the Viewer open on more than one PC. Good point.

Again – thanks for sharing!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)