Community

Viewer Freezes

Links used in this discussion
Gaz Denson, User (Posts: 26)
Jun 03, 2020 9:55:52 am EDT
Support level: Starter
My Viewer is automatically freezing when I walk away from the PC for an extended period and upon return does not automatically reconnect me.
I have to close the remote window and log back in.
Is there a way to stop this happening and be permanently logged in until I choose to log out, or even a way to set the "log out time" to be longer (eg 30 mins)
Thanks in advance!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jun 03, 2020 5:14:49 pm EDT
Hello Gaz,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue. Could you please clarify what version of Remote Utilities do you use?

In addition, could you please clarify if the connection is just frozen, i.e. it seems like you're connected but nothing moves, or if the connection is interrupted? In addition, please let me know if pausing/unpausing the remote session from the Toolbar makes any difference?

Looking forward to your reply.
Peter Gray, User (Posts: 48)
Jun 03, 2020 5:44:41 pm EDT
I have had a similar problrm with one specific host, on a direct connection, both viewer and host running version 6.10.10.0, and lately with the host running version 6.12.2.0 beta 2.  If I have the full control window on screen, then do something else so the window is not visible, but has not been minimied, then when I come back to it after a long enough time, the window is frozen.  NOT disconnected.  If I click anywhere in the window, one of two things happens.  Either after a short wait the view refreshes and I again have control, or (usually after a longer wait) the window goes black for a while, and then recovers, and the host displays a message something like "the display driver stopped responding and has recovered"  I have always put this down to a problem with that host.

It is hard to tell, but the problem may be less severe since changing to the beta host.

If I switch to a different tab on the full control window to work on a different host, or minimise the window, before going to do something else, the problem does not seem to occur.

Perhaps Gaz's host is goimg to sleep in some way (screen saver or something) and not waking up when he returns to the viewer?
Gaz Denson, User (Posts: 26)
Jun 04, 2020 4:14:33 am EDT
Hi, thanks for the replies.
Using the latest version of both Host and Viewer (not beta)
It seems like its frozen in time (quite literally the clock will be stuck) and I can not do anything until I close the viewer window and reconnect.
The pausing/unpausing does not have an effect.
Jun 04, 2020 2:41:20 pm EDT
Hello Peter and Gaz,

Thank you for the provided details.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue. Could you please try reproducing it one more time and then send us both the Host and Viewer logs for examination along with a note on what exact time the issue occurred? Also, if you could provide us a short video or a gif where the issue could be seen, it would be very helpful as well.

Here's how to obtain the Host log and the Viewer log. You can send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jun 08, 2020 5:39:42 pm EDT
Hello Peter and Gaz,

Thank you for your patience.

I have checked with our developers on the issue. The issue is caused by some minor connectivity issues and occurs when a brief disconnection occurs and, sometimes, the reconnection mechanism does not work as expected.

However, as Peter mentioned, the issue is less severe in the latest 6.12 Beta 2 version. In addition, we're going to further improve the reconnection mechanism in our subsequent updates, perhaps even completely change it.

Gaz, considering the information above, could you please try updating your Host and Viewer to the latest 6.12 Beta 2 version and see if it makes any difference? The 6.12 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)