Community

Access monitor-less Host

Links used in this discussion
Peter MacIntyre, User (Posts: 8)
Jun 16, 2020 2:44:22 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, is there any way to access a host computer when there is no monitor attached to it?  Are there any settings on either the host or viewer software that will allow this? I want to be able to access an old desktop computer but I don't want to commit a screen / monitor to it.  Thanks in advance.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jun 16, 2020 4:12:40 pm EDT
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try enabling the Use legacy capture mode checkbox? You can find it in the Host settings -> Other tab. This way you should be able to see the remote Host desktop even with no monitor attached to the machine.

Hope that helps.
Peter MacIntyre, User (Posts: 8)
Jun 16, 2020 7:57:28 pm EDT
Thanks! That worked fine. One point though, I had to re-start the host software for it to work. Just one small extra step...  love this software !
Jun 17, 2020 8:55:12 am EDT
Hello Peter,

I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

Yes, I'm sorry for that, I forgot to mention that the Host restart might be required. However, it's best to always restart the Host after any changes in the Host settings are applied.

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.
Alexander Arlund Nørgaard, User (Posts: 1)
Aug 06, 2021 6:00:42 am EDT
Hi, This also helped me to be able to connect to the host without a monitor. However, now I have the problem that the resolution is something like 800x600 tops, without the ability to change it unless I plug in a monitor. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
Boris Rudoy, User (Posts: 33)
Aug 06, 2021 12:16:14 pm EDT
Hello, Alexander.
As I know RU pickup display resolution from attached monitor. You have two options to change it.
- Use Remote Desktop session over RU. This one allow you to set resolution.
- Use Display Emulator Plug like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XSZR7CG  (different variety of them exist, amazon just an example)
Aug 09, 2021 2:53:28 pm EDT
Hello Alexander,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, changing the resolution of the remote computer screen directly in the Remote Utilities is not possible yet. However, we already have this feature on our wishlist and will implement it in our future updates.
Please try using one of the solutions suggested by Boris or try changing the view mode of your remote screen - this can be done in the Connection Properties -> Mode tab, Additional Command on the Toolbar in the Full Control window or via the F12 hotkey.

Boris, thank you for your input on this as well.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)