Community

Stealing My Windows Key Issue/Bug Possible Cause

Links used in this discussion
Scott Larson, User (Posts: 6)
May 08, 2020 1:16:15 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
So I have been evaluating this product for awhile now and I really like it. One thing that is really preventing me from using RemoteUtilities as my primary tool for remote desktop sessions is this issue I'm having when I connected to a remote computer. When I tab out of a remote desktop session, my keyboard to operate as if the Windows key is pressed down. So every key that I press that has a key combination associated to the windows key prevents me from actually typing. Eventual it returns to normal, or I have to restart. I'm not sure what makes it return to normal if I do not restart though.

I was wondering, I noticed yesterday that a small notification appeared that one of my remote computers were online, (I believe the notification is coming from RemoteUtilities) while I was in a remote session. When that notification came up, I notice that the issue started happening again. So I wonder if these notifications some how stealing focus or cause issues with the windows key.

My question is, is RemoteUtilities capturing the Windows key for operations in the tool itself? and could that be causing my issue?
Jun 19, 2020 2:17:13 pm EDT
No response as of yet. This problem is really becoming a big issue any ETA on a fix?
Edited:Scott Larson - Jun 19, 2020 2:17:49 pm EDT
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Jun 19, 2020 2:46:19 pm EDT
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your message.

Remote Utilities isn't capturing any keys beyond the necessary needed to fulfill the user's requests. Before we can move on and help you though I'd like to clarify this:

I was wondering, I noticed yesterday that a small notification appeared that one of my remote computers were online,

is this notification appearing on your local computer (where the Viewer is) or is it shown on the remote desktop itself? We could use screenshot.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jun 22, 2020 12:48:09 pm EDT
its happening on my host machine. Every once in awhile it will let me know that my own machine that I am working from, is online. I'll send you a screen shot when it pops up again. It pops up near the bottom right of my screen, from time to time, and it does steal focus from other applications, especially full screen applications.

The issue I have, when I am connected to a remote machine, is that at random times, My keystrokes will operate like I have the windows key pressed down. Any keys that are associated with the windows key shortcuts will operate as if I have the windows key pressed down, but I do not.
I either have to disconnect and reconnect, or press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to remedy the problem. This happens every 5 or 10 mins, no matter what machine I am connected to.

Are other people having this problem, is it really just my configuration alone..?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jun 22, 2020 4:35:12 pm EDT
Hello Scott,

Thank you for the clarification.

Every once in awhile it will let me know that my own machine that I am working from, is online.

Could you please clarify if you mean this notification?
Stealing My Windows Key Issue/Bug Possible Cause - 22 Jun 2020 02:51:14
If this is the case, please try disabling the Notify me when connection is online checkbox in the Viewer options.

Are other people having this problem, is it really just my configuration alone..?

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue and haven't got any other reports on similar issues. Could you please double-check if there is any utility software installed on the Viewer or the Host PCs that uses the keyboard or might have control over the keyboard input?

In addition, please try updating Remote Utilities to the latest 6.12 Beta 2 version - the most recent beta version updates contain a fix for a similar issue where some certain keys (such as Ctrl, Shift or Enter) were not captured by a remote machine. Perhaps, this might also affect the issue you've encountered and help to resolve it.
Version 6.12 Beta 2 is available for the download on this page. When updating Remote Utilities please make sure to update both Host and Viewer as version mismatch might lead to performance issues and some features not working.

Looking forward to your reply.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)