Community

Auto Import from Different Subnet

Links used in this discussion
Rodney Neal, User (Posts: 5)
Jul 08, 2020 8:34:29 am EDT
RU Server Verision 2.8.2.0 (2802)
Viewer Version 6.10.10.0
Host 6.10.10.0
We are a school system and we are trying to setup the server to be able to remotely administer our machines whether they are on our network or off.  We are trying to auto import all of our clients so that we have them in the addresss book with their Internet-ID.  We imaged some devices here at our Central Office where the RU Server is located.  We were successfully able to get machines that we imaged to import once they rebooted and checked in with the server.  However, if our techs image clients on a different subnet, we are not seeing those devices auto import.  We do have the server setup as a dns entry and not an IP address.  Is there something we are missing in the setup that would keep this auto import from working as we hoped?
Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Jul 08, 2020 1:35:23 pm EDT
Hello Rodney,

Thank you for your message.

We were successfully able to get machines that we imaged to import once they rebooted and checked in with the server. However, if our techs image clients on a different subnet, we are not seeing those devices auto import. We do have the server setup as a dns entry and not an IP address. Is there something we are missing in the setup that would keep this auto import from working as we hoped?

The question is - did these hosts successfully check in with the RU Server? If they did and you have "auto-import" enabled, they should have been added to the address book.

You can check if a Host checked in on RU Sever by viewing the Idle tab in the Admin Console window.

Thanks.
Jul 08, 2020 1:41:36 pm EDT
Hey Conrad,
Thanks so much for the help.  We looked at the server there is nothing on the idle tab.  So I am assuming that these devices on the other networks did not check in correctly with the server.   Is there a log or something on the client that we can go to that would help us find where the problem is coming from?  We have some devices in hand and are at one of our other schools so we can test.  
Really appreciate the help, we have been very pleased to have partnered with you guys for over 8 years!
Jul 08, 2020 1:51:30 pm EDT
Hi Rodney,

So I am assuming that these devices on the other networks did not check in correctly with the server. Is there a log or something on the client that we can go to that would help us find where the problem is coming from?

Yes, of course. It is the Host log which is available individually on each Host. I can assume that these Hosts couldn't connect to your RU Server in the first place, and that should be reflected in the log. As for the reason why they couldn't connect - it could be a perimeter firewall on the Host side network, or it could be your RU Server computer (or perimeter firewall in the network) that blocked incoming connection to the RU Server. In other words this seems to be a network connectivity and/or security parameters issue.

We have some devices in hand and are at one of our other schools so we can test.
Really appreciate the help, we have been very pleased to have partnered with you guys for over 8 years!

Thank you for your kind words :)

P.S. Feel free to open a ticket and send us your Host log in private if you are having difficulty figuring out the log's messages.
Jul 08, 2020 2:40:05 pm EDT
Hey Conrad.  We have figured out the issue.  It turns out that the program was not getting installed during our imaging process.  We have never had any issues with that process and just didn't think about the software not being installed after we imaged.  We looked at a machine and found that it was not installed and then fixed the imaging task to make sure it got installed correctly.  We are good to go!!
Thanks so much for your help!
Jul 08, 2020 3:38:31 pm EDT
Hi Rodney,

I'm glad to hear you managed to find the root cause. Indeed, I didn't take the possibility of Host not installed into consideration.

Don't hesitate to post another message if you need assistance. Me and my colleagues are always happy to help.

Thanks.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)