Community

RU Server - Doesn't show in-progress sessions as active

Links used in this discussion
Kenny Milne, User (Posts: 2)
Jul 29, 2020 8:05:43 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
We are trialling Remote Utilities with a view to rolling it out across our IT teams globally.
We would like to be able to see what sessions are active, particularly if we've hit our license limit and believe to do this we need to host the RU server ourselves.
Whilst trialling the RU server, I can connect the agent OK, and it shows up in the idle list.  I can also connect the viewer to the agent and run a full control session connection to the agent machine, however when the session is in progress, the RU Admin console never moves the agent to the ACTIVE list.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to why not?
Thanks
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Jul 29, 2020 3:40:38 pm EDT
Hello Kenny,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please double-check if remote Hosts are directly visible for the Viewer? If this is the case, then this might be a reason for a connection not showing in the Active list because of a direct route detection mechanism, that sends the data along a direct route rather than via Internet-ID. This is true if the Host is directly visible from the Viewer (e.g. on the same LAN/VPN) and the Host's listening 5650 port is allowed in firewall settings on the Host machine. A Windows Firewall rule is created automatically during the Host installation.

In addition, please note that for connections to consistently show in the Active tab you must be running an active remote session (e.g. Full Control etc.), not just be logged on.
Please note that both Host and Viewer that use the RU Server for a remote session should be displayed in the Active tab.

Looking forward to your reply.
Kenny Milne, User (Posts: 2)
Jul 30, 2020 8:48:19 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.  I was testing machines on the same network, however had thought as the connection was configured with the internet ID it would have used the RU server for connection not direct connection.

What we are trying to find out is if there is a way we can view who is connected to each session.

The intention is to purchase x number or pro licenses, so we can install the host on all our corporate machines, plus run the run-only-agent on non-corporate machines if necessary.

We would like to have some level of control if we hit the maximum concurrent connection count (presumably connections would then fail) to see who is using the sessions.  The RU server active session only shows the name of the PC being connected to, not who / what viewer is making each connection.  

Is this possible ?
Thanks
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Jul 30, 2020 5:04:11 pm EDT
Hello Kenny,

Thank you for the clarification.

I was testing machines on the same network, however had thought as the connection was configured with the internet ID it would have used the RU server for connection not direct connection.

Yes, using the direct route automatically if available is expected behavior. This is done in order to improve the connection speed and performance as a Direct connection is always faster than an Internet-ID connection.

The intention is to purchase x number or pro licenses, so we can install the host on all our corporate machines, plus run the run-only-agent on non-corporate machines if necessary.

Please note that the license key is added on the Viewer's side only as described in this guide on registering the program. Other modules, i.e. Host, Agent, and RU Server do not require registration.

What we are trying to find out is if there is a way we can view who is connected to each session.
We would like to have some level of control if we hit the maximum concurrent connection count (presumably connections would then fail) to see who is using the sessions.  The RU server active session only shows the name of the PC being connected to, not who / what viewer is making each connection.  

Unfortunately, right now there's no such feature that allows seeing the exact Viewer/Host pair that is currently in a remote session with each other. However, I've forwarded this feature request to our developers for a review to see if this can be implemented in our future update.

In addition, please note, that if your Viewer is connected to the Host using Internet-ID connection via self-hosted RU Server, then you should already see all the Hosts along with the Viewers that are currently using this server for a remote session listed on the Active tab of the Admin Console, i.e. you're able to see all of the concurrent technicians using the sessions anyway. For more information please see this page.  

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)