New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Can I get higher resolution when the remote host has no graphics card?

Links used in this discussion
Peter Hucker, User (Posts: 23)
Sep 18, 2020 1:02:52 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have a machine with remote utilities host installed on it.  It has no graphics card, and no onboard graphics.  It's running Windows 10.  The resolution when I connect to it with Remote Utilities is 640x480, which is so small that dialog boxes are missing the bottom and impossible to use.  Windows 10 on that host refuses to let me change the resolution to be higher.  Is there any way around this?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Sep 18, 2020 6:07:07 pm EDT
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your message.

Please try enabling the Use legacy capture mode feature in the Host Settings -> Other tab and see if this helps to resolve the issue. Please make sure to resart the Host after enabling the feature in order for the changes to be applied.

In addition, please try switching the View mode of the remote session to the Stretch view. You can enable that option either in the Connection properties -> Mode tab or during a remote session using the Additional commands menu in the toolbar. This should help to stretch the remote screen to fit the size of your local screen.

Please note that, unfortunately, you cannot change the very resolution of the remote computer screen directly in the Remote Utilities yet. However, we already have this feature on our wishlist and will implement it in our future updates.

Hope that helps.
Sep 18, 2020 6:28:17 pm EDT

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:

Hello Peter,

Please try enabling the  Use legacy capture mode  feature in the  Host Settings -> Other tab  and see if this helps to resolve the issue. Please make sure to resart the Host after enabling the feature in order for the changes to be applied.

In addition, please try switching the View mode of the remote session to the  Stretch view . You can enable that option either in the  Connection properties -> Mode tab  or during a remote session using the  Additional commands menu  in the toolbar. This should help to stretch the remote screen to fit the size of your local screen.

Please note that, unfortunately, you cannot change the very resolution of the remote computer screen directly in the Remote Utilities yet. However, we already have this feature on our wishlist and will implement it in our future updates.

Hope that helps.

Both legacy capture and stretch view were already enabled.  It does fill my monitor at 1600x1200, but the actual resolution of the host is 640x480 which makes dialog boxes difficult to use.  Windows's own remote desktop seems to manage, although I tend not to use it as it disables the graphics cards which I run OpenCL programs on.  I guess I have to use your program for the hosts with cards and Windows's one for those without for the time being.
Sep 21, 2020 3:09:26 pm EDT
Hello Peter,

Thank you for the clarification.

It does fill my monitor at 1600x1200, but the actual resolution of the host is 640x480 which makes dialog boxes difficult to use.

Yes, unfortunately, this is expected behavior as Remote Utilities runs in a console session by default, i.e. in the remote session window you see what actually is displayed on the remote screen.

I guess I have to use your program for the hosts with cards and Windows's one for those without for the time being.

Of course, we will make sure to notify you once we've implemented this feature. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.
Apr 27, 2022 2:35:03 am EDT

Peter Hucker wrote:

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the clarification.

It does fill my monitor at 1600x1200, but the actual resolution of the host is 640x480 which makes dialog boxes difficult to use.

Yes, unfortunately, this is expected behavior as Remote Utilities runs in a console session by default, i.e. in the remote session window you see what actually is displayed on the remote screen.

I guess I have to use your program for the hosts with cards and Windows's one for those without for the time being.

Of course, we will make sure to notify you once we've implemented this feature. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.

A year and a half has passed.  Have you implemented something for resolution?  I have a weird machine now with a graphics card and a dummy monitor connected, but it's stuck on 640*480.  I'd love to be able to view it a bit bigger!
Apr 27, 2022 4:49:47 pm EDT
Hello Peter,

Unfortunately, this feature is yet to be implemented - we do have a feature in our wishlist that would let a tech to adjust the resolution on the remote Host's screen. However, there's no specific ETA on this feature yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)