New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Windows 10 2004 Update

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 21, 2020 1:30:28 pm EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for the details.

We've managed to reproduce the issue this time, with the remote laptop's lid being closed. I'll forward this to our developers to see if there's anything that could be done to fix the issue in our future updates.

I'll keep you updated on the issue.
Nijel Terry, User (Posts: 55)
Aug 31, 2020 12:46:41 pm EDT
Just wanted to add my .02 here, I've defaulted my host settings to Use Legacy Capture Mode, especially if the host computer is a laptop.  I've noticed that many laptops when the lid is shut and the Use Legacy Capture Mode is not checked, the Viewer gets a blank black screen.  Opening the lid restores the image on the viewer screen.  Turning on Use Legacy Capture Mode enables the viewer to operate a laptop with a closed lid.
tech@waterbrook.org, User (Posts: 18)
Aug 31, 2020 2:15:34 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
Correct. Am aware of that legacy setting. The troubles started when Microsoft released they're April 2020 patch (MS calls it 2004). While legacy capture stopped the black screen effect, a new effect surface where A) the start menu size shrunk to very small text, and scroll boxes do not work (like the text image is frozen even though you can move the scroll bar down).

Hopefully, the developers can determine what changed in all of this to cause this new issue.

Thanks...
Aug 31, 2020 3:36:02 pm EDT
Hello Nijel and James,

Thank you for your messages.

I checked on the issue with our developers - even though we have managed to reproduce it, unfortunately, it's caused by something in the Windows OS's update itself, rather than something in the program. Like I've mentioned earlier in the thread, Remote Utilities only works in a console session and displays exactly what is shown on a remote machine. Unfortunately, in this situation, we can only recommend referring to the Microsoft support service as the issue occurred after the 2004 OS update. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nijel, thank you for your input. Indeed, enabling the Use legacy capture mode feature usually helps in resolving similar issues. However, in this case, the issue is caused by some changes that were applied to the way the Start menu is displayed after updating to the Windows' 2004 patch.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Nijel Terry, User (Posts: 55)
Aug 31, 2020 7:45:54 pm EDT
I have done several W10 upgrades to 2004 and havn't had any start menu issues, but I realize now that is probably because I install Classic Shell on all my clients PC's.  http://classicshell.net/

It's a better start menu IMO.
Sep 01, 2020 10:24:53 am EDT
Hello Nijel,

Thank you for your input.

Hopefully, other users who experience the same issue will find it helpful.

James, please consider using the Classic Shell solution suggested above by Nijel. Perhaps, it might help in resolving the issue with the Start Menu sizing for the laptops with a closed lid.

Please let us know if you have other questions. We're happy to assist!
Oct 04, 2020 10:36:03 am EDT
Hey Nijel & Team,

So understanding that this may not be resolved, I did try the Classic Shell add-on/modification. A few things of note for others that attempt this and some general info if others need to take this path to get this to once-work again.

1) Classic Shell is no longer supported by the above-mentioned web link (the website does still work). The Developer decided to hang up his hat on this and make it Open-Source where others can still develop on it. The developer did state he would be taking down forums, etc. within 6 months of the announcement (now almost three years ago), so never know how long it will remain. Main page does have links to the Github location.

2) It is on Github and the name of the program has been changed to "OpenShell":
OpenShell on Github

For those wondering, yes, the current version on Github (4.4.152) does install successfully on WIndows 10, and does get around that annoying screen shrink issue that came with the latest/last patch from Microsoft, 2004 when using Remote Utilities on a Laptop, with the lid closed.

"Use legacy Capture mode" is still required in order to get around the black-screen issue also reported when lid-is-closed and Windows 10 has been patched to version 2004. OpenShell does not resolve that neither.

Finally, Microsoft's next update is expected around November, we'll see if there are any improvements that help out Remote Utilities.

Thanks,

James
Oct 05, 2020 5:50:22 pm EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for the provided updates!

Please feel free to let us know if there will be any updates on the issue after Microsoft releases their next update or to post another message if you have other questions. We're happy to assist!
Nov 02, 2020 1:10:03 pm EST
So windows released it's Fall update last month. The patch is called 20H2. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the video issues documented here in this posting.

Can we assume that the RemoteUtilities developers are unable to come up with a workaround?

Thanks,

James
Nov 02, 2020 3:32:00 pm EST
Hello James,

Thank you for the update.

Unfortunately, this did not resolve the video issues documented here in this posting.
Can we assume that the RemoteUtilities developers are unable to come up with a workaround?

Unfortunately, in this case we cannot provide a fix for this issue, as our assistance in resolving issues caused by third-party software is limited (please see our Support Policy). In this case we can only recommend to contact Microsoft support service and ask for their input on the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)