New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Viewer installation fails

Links used in this discussion
Howard Spindel, User (Posts: 6)
Nov 23, 2020 3:43:07 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Viewer installation fails with message:

Error 1305.  Error reading from file c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\{long key}\viewer6.10.msi

Please help
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 23, 2020 2:27:33 pm EST
Hello Howard,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try copying the Viewer installation file to your desktop and installing Viewer from there?
In addition, please try selecting a different location on your computer as an installation folder for the Viewer and see if you still receive the same error.
In addition, could you please clarify if it's possible to run Portable Viewer on the same machine?

Finally, please try installing the latest 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 release of Remote Utilities instead of the 6.10.10.0 version as the issue might have already been resolved in the latest update.
The latest 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page. Please make sure to use Viewer and Host/Agent of the same version to avoid version mismatch that might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

Please let us know if the solutions above did not help and the issue persists.
Nov 23, 2020 7:14:23 pm EST
Thank you for the reply.

The same error occurs if the installation file is placed on the desktop, or if the destination directory is changed.  The same error occurs with the beta version of the installer.

The portable version of the program appears to run okay.
Nov 24, 2020 9:07:30 am EST
Hello Howard,

Thank you for an update.

The issue might be occurring if the Viewer configuration file or an installation file was somehow corrupted (perhaps, by antivirus/firewall software activity). Could you please, try the following and see if this helps to resolve the issue:

1. Open the following folder: C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\. Please note that the AppData folder might be hidden by default in which case you'll need to enable "Hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer settings.
2. In the folder above locate the file config_4.xml and delete it.
3. Try re-donwloading the Viewer installation file from our website once again and see if it's possible to install it this time.

Please let me know if there is no Remote Utilities Files folder or if the solution above did not helps and the issue persists
Nov 24, 2020 9:17:30 pm EST
There is no folder named Remote Utilities Files on my computer.
Nov 25, 2020 2:25:08 pm EST
Hello Howard,

Thank you for the clarification.

The issue might have been caused by permissions for some specific directories being somehow corrupted, as permissions for folders can often be corrupted via general computer use, e.g. software installation or even Windows updates might affect permissions of Windows folders.
In this case, resetting the permissions for the c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\ folder might also help to resolve the issue.

In addition, I've forwarded the issue to our developers just in case and asked them for their input on this.

I'll get back to you with their reply soon.
Nov 27, 2020 11:21:26 am EST
Hello Howard,

Thank you for your patience.

I've checked on the issue with our developers - unfortunately, this issue usually occurs if there's something wrong (i.e. was somehow damaged or corrupted) in the operating system itself.
Unfortunately, according to our Support Policy, we cannot assist in resolving system administration issues. In this case, the best solution that will most likely help to resolve the issue is to reinstall your Windows OS from scratch (or to contact your system administrator and request them to reinstall the OS). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope that helps.
Nov 28, 2020 3:40:49 am EST
Thank you for your suggestions so far.

I upgraded my system from Win 7 to Win 10, and the exact same error persists with both the standard install file and the beta version.

The portable version of the viewer works fine, so I can use that.

Do you have any other suggestions?
Nov 28, 2020 3:48:40 am EST
I also checked the permission on c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\

They were set to ReadOnly, which I changed.  No difference in the installation error.
Nov 30, 2020 11:09:54 am EST
Hello Howard,

Thank you for the update.

Unfortunately, in this case only a complete reinstallation of Windows might help to resolve the issue as it's caused by some specific configurations inside the system itself being damaged.
You can additionally try using System File Checker tool. However, please note that we cannot provide further assistance with repairing/reinstalling Windows as it's beyond the scope of our technical support. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)