New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

[ Closed ] Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta

Links used in this discussion
Vasilis Lourdas, User (Posts: 19)
Dec 06, 2020 2:54:36 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:
We will test this configuration in our testing laboratory and let you know if we manage to reproduce the issue.

Thanks.

Today I saw that you have released b4 in the mean time. Using the newer portable beta, there' s no "No response from server" message. I can now connect. Thanks!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 07, 2020 7:10:03 am EST
Hello Vasilis,

I'm glad to hear it works for you now!

Yes, we released the updated Beta 4 version, since there was an issue with the Host service not starting automatically in Windows XP/7. A full list of Release Notes is available here.
The updated version 6.12.4.0 Beta 4 (and version 2.9.7.0 Beta 4 for the RU Server) is available for download on this page.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Vasilis Lourdas, User (Posts: 19)
Dec 10, 2020 12:36:23 pm EST
Trying the latest b4 with wine in my Linux system, it does not start. At first, there was a message about Vulkan, so I recompiled Wine with vulkan support. Still it does not show up. Are there any special requirements in this beta? I will also try b3...
Dec 10, 2020 1:22:48 pm EST
Hello Vasilis,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, our assistance with Remote Utilities running via Wine is very limited as it's meant for Windows. In addition, please note that according to our Support Policy, we do not assist in resolving issues with third-party software. In order to resolve the issue, please consider referring to Wine documentation or support service, perhaps they can provide a helpful solution. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dec 11, 2020 3:25:27 pm EST
Hello everyone,

This is to inform you that we've released a new blog post on all of the new features that were recently added in our 6.12 Beta versions. Please read the full blog post here.

Your questions as well as general feedback are welcome.
Tiago Gomes, User (Posts: 5)
Dec 17, 2020 10:23:15 am EST
Support level: Endpoint
The Windows system log capability is a great improvement of the software. Specially for complying with auditing and compliance requisites that such functionality (remote access) should have.

We´ve identified that when using the "Remote Utilities Security" vs the "Custom Server Security" the results have some small divergences:
1. The "Remote Utilities Security" shows the logged user on the "popup ballon" while the "Custom Server Security" does not.
2. The "Custom Server Security" explicitally register the logged user on the windows event log while the "Remote Utilities Security" does not.

Both theese situations are depicted on the attached images.
The username should be shown/registered on both cases.
Attached Files
Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta
Dec 17, 2020 12:39:08 pm EST
Hello Tiago,

Thank you for your feedback.

We already have a similar feature on our wish list - we plan to improve logging in our future updates, so the username of the remote user and the hostname of the computer of the remote user would be logged for all authentication methods.

As for displaying the username when the Custom Server Security authentication method is used - I will forward this feature suggestion to our development department for a review to see if we can implement this in our future updates as well. However, please note that in case if you additionally use the RU Server in its relay role, then it's possible to see Viewers and Hosts that are currently using this server for a remote session on the Active tab of the RU Server's Admin Console.

Hope that helps.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Dec 29, 2020 3:11:28 pm EST
Still looking for improved version reporting. It's one of my biggest issues with RUT.

Upgraded 4 using remote install and the host .msi file, and 2 of them show the new version number and 2 don't (but did upgrade to .4).
Also, when I did them one at a time, they succeeded, but when I tried two at once, the first one failed authorization and the second one worked. Without changing any setting, tried remote upgrade again on the one that failed authorization and it upgraded.

Lastly, given the amount of time between beta releases, the 3 month license expiry seems short. You should think about 9 months at least.
Dec 29, 2020 4:19:09 pm EST
Hello Max,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, unfortunately, the updated mechanism to fetch the Host's version number is yet to be fully implemented - we've only implemented it partially in one of our previous updates. However, we will make sure to mention it in our Release Notes and notify all users who had any issues with this feature, once it's added in our future updates.

Also, when I did them one at a time, they succeeded, but when I tried two at once, the first one failed authorization and the second one worked. Without changing any setting, tried remote upgrade again on the one that failed authorization and it upgraded.

Thank you for letting us know. We will additionally test this to see if we can reproduce the issue, so we can fix it in our future updates.

Lastly, given the amount of time between beta releases, the 3 month license expiry seems short. You should think about 9 months at least.

Thank you for your suggestion. We will make sure to extend the Beta license period before it expires, but we currently plan to release another update before the expiration date.

MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Jan 14, 2021 11:02:40 pm EST
Before the next beta, please change the default option for:
Remote install->Connection type  to "Remote utilities security".

I only use single passwords. And when testing betas, you prompt for each login credential rather than the saved single password when the default "Windows security" is selected. This doesn't make much sense for me, especially if upgrading 1+, not sure about other users. I suspect not.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)