New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

[ Closed ] Remote Utilities 6.12 Beta

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 15, 2021 11:43:04 am EST
Hello Max,

Thank you for your suggestion!

I'll forward this to our development department for a review to see if we can implement this feature in our future updates.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Shane Farmer, User (Posts: 5)
Feb 09, 2021 3:09:24 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I used Beta 2 with no real issues, but with Beta 4, it's takes a LONG time to connect remote machine.  I haven't actually timed it, but will try to.

Over a minute at least and seems longer.  I don't actually see the remote machine screen at all during that time, just the "connecting" window.  Windows 10, 20H2 on both machine.  1Gb fiber on both ends.  Fortinet firewall on the connecting side.  Home connection on client side.  I haven't tried connecting the other way.
Feb 09, 2021 4:20:29 pm EST
Hello Shane,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let us know if you have both Host and Viewer updated to the 6.12 Beta 4 version and if you use Internet-ID connection via our default ID servers or your self-hosted RU Server?
In addition, could you please double-check if connecting to a remote Host takes a long time if you're connecting to another remote Host (e.g. in another network)?

Looking forward to your reply.
Shane Farmer, User (Posts: 5)
Feb 09, 2021 5:43:24 pm EST
Both are 6.12beta4.  I use Internet-ID.  It was fine with beta2.  I will try another host.
Feb 10, 2021 1:29:54 pm EST
Hello Shane,

Thank you for the clarification.

In case if the issue persists when connecting to another Host as well, then please feel free to send us the Host log files for examination. The Host logs can be located in the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\.
You can send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Thank you.
Trent, User (Posts: 56)
Feb 12, 2021 5:22:08 am EST
Good morning, all!  I took the plunge and upgraded my Viewer to the beta version, but had some questions about backward compatibility expectations.  (Forgive me if this has already been specifically addressed). I know that the preferred environment and testing would be with both the host and viewer being on the same beta version, BUT what are the expectations of backwards compatibility between the beta viewer and the GA 6.10.10.0 host?

More specifically, do you WANT to get reports of issues regarding backward compatibility?

Thanks!!!
Feb 12, 2021 5:51:34 am EST
A follow up question... I installed the new Viewer Beta and quickly experienced a backward compatibility issue that necessitated me to have to uninstall the viewer and reinstall the GA version.

My address books survived just fine, but apparently all of my stored passwords were lost.  Any way to recover them?  Is this expected behavior?
Feb 12, 2021 10:39:07 am EST
Hello Trent,

Thank you for your message.

I know that the preferred environment and testing would be with both the host and viewer being on the same beta version, BUT what are the expectations of backwards compatibility between the beta viewer and the GA 6.10.10.0 host?

This is correct, we always recommend that our users update both Host and Viewer (as well as RU Server if used) to the same version. We always try to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible, so in general, it's possible to connect from Viewer of a newer version to an older Host, but in some cases, the version mismatch might lead to performance issues or some features not working. The program is constantly evolving - we always add new features and bug fixes, or replace some features with their improved versions, so it's only natural that some features might not work or not work as expected in case of the version mismatch.
For example, starting version 6.12 Beta 3, we've implemented an improved mechanism for the File Transfer connection mode, so we specifically mentioned in our Release Notes to update both Host and Viewer to the same version.

More specifically, do you WANT to get reports of issues regarding backward compatibility?

Of course, we always welcome any kind of feedback from our users. However, please note that most of the time such issues can be resolved by simply updating the outdated module.

My address books survived just fine, but apparently all of my stored passwords were lost. Any way to recover them? Is this expected behavior?

This might have occurred if the address book file was somehow damaged. It's possible to restore your general address books, including the connections' passwords from automatic daily backups, which are enabled by default when you install the Viewer. Please try restoring your address book from a backup following this guide.

Hope that helps.
Feb 12, 2021 10:42:10 am EST
Thanks, Polina!  Yes, the File Transfer was the primary issue I noticed upon updating and I overlooked it in the release notes!  My apologies!

Good tip on the backups!  I did not think of that. Thanks so much!!!
Feb 12, 2021 11:30:05 am EST
Hello Trent,

I'm glad to hear I was able to help!

Please feel free to post another message if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)