Community

decent free tool but can't get it to work with domain

Links used in this discussion
Danyael Neumeyer, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 21, 2021 1:50:15 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hello, I am using latest version (as of 1/16/21) of HOST and VIEWER.
I have spent the better part of 3 days trying to connect to 1 PC at my work.  That pc is on a domain.  I have used the internet ID, quadruple checked settings.  On the viewer at home, I can see the computer, I can see it is online, but no matter what settings I have used I cannot connect to it at all.  I have set up the single use password, I tried the windows authentication and added my domain username/password, Tried configuring the callback feature and that will not work either.  I did configure port forwarding on my router... I tried generic 80, didn't work, tried 5650, didn't work, tried 5655, didn't work.  I added RemoteUtilities to my windows firewall exception list (at home), still cannot connect.  

Again, I can see the work computer, it says it's online, but I just can't connect.  

The whole purpose for me trying remoteutilities was to get away from  [censored] (which I had zero issues with connecting from home to work pc on the domain).

My whole setup was this:  I had (still have, but no longer primary) a windows 7 32bit laptop and had dameware installed (previous IT already had it on there).  I could use dameware to connect to any domain pc on the planet.  I loved that dameware would install the client on the remote PC if it wasn't on there already.  So, in order to help out other techs or users in different parts of the country or the planet, I could remote in to my win7 laptop using  [censored] from home, then use dameware to remote into their PC. Very awesome experience!

Faster forward to last year, the corporation finally started mass upgrading laptops and desktops to win10 64 bit machines... dameware still can connect to a win10 64bit machine but it is very laggy... and it doesn't help the win7 32bit laptop dameware is installed on is a 3rd or 4th gen i5 dual core.

I tried to contact solar winds to see how i can remove the license from the old laptop and transfer it to the new win10 machine but they blew me off...  I looked online and nothing quite like what I need can be found.  It is an older version of dameware (probably late 2000's).  I "think" I have the right key... took a few hours pouring through the registry hives to locate it... I "think" it's the right key because when I try to use it on the new win10 64-bit machine it tells me it is already assigned to another computer.

So, here I am.  Trying to find a solution that combines both  [censored] and dameware. I am not opposed to paying a one time licensing fee.. but solar winds/dameware are nothing short of extortionists and I refuse to submit to their mafia tactics... [censored] is nice but I am not paying for all of their features (overpriced anyway) when I would not really use most of them...

I was hoping to get remoteutilities to at least work in the free version to try it out ... it looks like I can install remoteutility software with a paid higher tier'ed version... but alas... I may have to just can this and keep searching.  

For remoting into machines now, I just took a laptop home with me, use the VPN, then MSTSC into the desired machine... but that is very archaic and having to log other users' off is a pain.. especially when I need them to test out new software and such.  

And one last thing, the company is on a ZBB (zero base budget)... they won't pay for anything!  They don't even buy scotch tape!  I was laughed at when I came onboard a few years ago and asked one of the office workers if they had scotch tape. :/
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jan 21, 2021 9:14:04 am EST
Hello Danyael,

Thank you for your message.

Before we can proceed to further troubleshooting, please try referring to this KB guide that provides solutions for the most common issues that might affect Internet-ID connectivity and cause similar issues and see if any solution from the list helps.

In case if the solutions above did not help to resolve the issue, then please feel free to send us the Host logs for examination. The Host logs are located in the following directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\
You can send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com. Please do not publish the logs on the forum as they are considered to be personal information.

Looking forward to your reply.
Danyael Neumeyer, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 21, 2021 2:11:56 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hello,

I did forward those logs to support@remoteutilities.com,  
it seemed the reoccurring error was ERROD CODE1.  Not sure if there were other issues later on.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jan 21, 2021 4:29:01 pm EST
Hello Danyael,

Thank you for the provided logs! We've received your email and I'll forward the log files to our 2nd tier support for examination.

Meanwhile, in order to further isolate the issue, could you please try the following:
1. Please try connecting to Host/Agent located in a different network than the Host machine where the issue persists.
2. Please try updating your Remote Utilities to the latest 6.12 Beta 4 version to see if this helps to resolve the issue, as we've implemented a number of features that might improve connectivity in our latest Beta releases. A full list of Release Notes is available here.
The latest 6.12 Beta 4 version is available for download on this page.
When updating Remote Utilities, please make sure to update both Host/Agent and Viewer to the same version in order to avoid the version mismatch that might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

Please let us know if the issue persists after updating Remote Utilities.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)