Community

IP-Filter - Whitelist

Links used in this discussion
Klaus Pracht, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 21, 2021 11:26:25 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
I am using V 6.20
Hello there!
I have a problem setting up a whitelist-filter.
When I try to set up whitelist-entrys within "IP-Filter" and save them, these entries are only visible, when I switch to "Blacklist". When I select "Whitelist" again, the entries disappear, are not visible. Any entries I make ar only visible, when "Blacklist" ist select. (I'm calling the selectors "Blacklist" and "Whitelist", because I am using the german version and don't know how they are called in the english version).
Question: Is this a bug or are the IP-entries still working as "Whitelist"-entries, despite being invisible (access only for the defined entries)? I cannot test it, without setting up a test-environment, which causes a lot of work ...
Kindest regards, Klaus
IP-Filter - Whitelist - 21 Jan 2021 11:17:11 IP-Filter - Whitelist - 21 Jan 2021 11:17:11
Jan 21, 2021 12:26:46 pm EST
sorry, misstyped the Version I use. Its not 6.2 but 6.10.10 as you can tell from the screenshots ...
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jan 21, 2021 4:13:30 pm EST
Hello Klaus,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please confirm if you're adding the entries to the IP-filters the following way?
1. Click Allow everyone, except, then press the Edit button to invoke the IP-filter window.
2. In the invoked IP-filter window navigate to the corresponding Black list tab and add the singe IP address entry or an IP range that you want to block from accessing the Host.
3. Click OK to apply changes.
The same process applies to the Deny everyone, except option and the corresponding White list tab. For example, please see the setup on the screenshots below:
IP-Filter - Whitelist - 21 Jan 2021 04:09:01 IP-Filter - Whitelist - 21 Jan 2021 04:09:01

In addition, in case if you already follow the procedure above but the issue persists, please try updating Remote Utilities to the latest 6.12 Beta 4 version and see if this helps to resolve the issue.
The latest 6.12 Beta 4 version is available for download on this page.
When updating Remote Utilities, please make sure to update both Host and Viewer to the same version in order to avoid the version mismatch that might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

Hope that helps.
Jan 22, 2021 1:52:19 pm EST
Hello Polina,
I tried exactly to your description to enter a whitelist in V. 6.10.xx and V 6.12Beta4.
It is identical in both versions. I cannot distinguish between "Whitelist" and "Blacklist"-tab no matter if ich sel ect "Allow everyone, except" or "Deny everyone, except". I installed on 4 different machines now, always the same result! Every IP-address or IP-range ends up in "Allow everyone, ..."
I also tried to install an english version of the host, but I always end up with a german version.
And that seems to the point of it. It seems to be a language problem!
The two tabs for "Blacklist" and "Whitelist" are not klickable, as you can see on my screenshot. Instead, there is just the text and a "\n ;" between "Blacklist" and "White list", "Blacklist" is not seperated by a space, like in your screenshot.
IP-Filter - Whitelist - 22 Jan 2021 01:46:22
To me, this whole issue look like a bug in the german version ...
Like I said, I installed the host on different machines, new and older Win10pro-installlations, all the same.
Looking forward to hearing fr om you,
Kindest, Klaus
Jan 22, 2021 3:55:19 pm EST
Hello Klaus,

Thank you for letting us know!

We were able to reproduce the issue when using Host in the German language. I'll forward the issue to our developers, so we can implement the fix for this in our future updates.

I also tried to install an english version of the host, but I always end up with a german version.

This occurs since the new installation of Host picks up the settings of the previous Host installation. Please try uninstalling Host following this complete uninstallation guide, including deleting the Host's registry key where Host settings are stored. Then try re-installing Host from scratch once again and see if this time you can install an English version of it.
In addition, please try simply switching Host to English version without re-installing it and then restarting Host- this might restore the two separate tabs for "Black list" and "White list".

Hope that helps.
Jan 23, 2021 11:44:24 am EST
Hello Polina,
Finally, after I found out that I can change the language in the Settings (sorry! Blinded by features ;-) ), I tried the whole thing with different languages. I can tell, that this is a bug like you already mentioned above. This concernes not only German, but also Dutch, French an others (I didn't test'em all).
When I switch to English, I can properly set Blacklist and Whitelist in the IP-Filter settings and the settings remain properly set after switching back to the language i want, i.e. German.
Every new IP-Filter settings I make in another language than English, go wrong and end up as Blacklist-Entry.
So at least we found a workaround, the rest will be fixed, I assume ...
Kindest regards and many thanks for helping out,
Klaus
Jan 25, 2021 9:23:27 am EST
Hello Klaus,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, we've identified that the issue with tabs occurs in all other localizations, except for the English version. I've already forwarded the issue to our development department, so this should be fixed in our next update. Meanwhile, as a temporary workaround please try using the IP-filter feature in the English version of Host. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We'll notify you once the update with the implemented fix is available.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)