New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Set internet-id to specific value?

Links used in this discussion
cosmos, User (Posts: 76)
Mar 17, 2021 4:25:56 am EDT
Hello,

we are in the process of upgrading some old Windows XP systems running host 6.10.0. On each of the new systems I want to ins ert the internet id of that the XP system had, in order to avoid changing viewer options as well for our teleworkers.

Is there a registry key I can change on the new system to set the internet id to the old val ue?

Of course I will first disable internet-id functionality on the XP system, before doing so.
Mar 17, 2021 4:34:58 am EDT
Apologies, I just noticed that I did not clearly write what I am doing. I am replacing XP boxes with new, Windows 10 ones. So I want to "copy" the internet-id of the existing boxes to the RU host installations on the respective Windows 10 rigs.
Mar 17, 2021 4:48:02 am EDT
I found that the internet-id is embedded in a binary key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\Host\Parameters

As far as I can see this is an XML file encoded into a binary reg key. Which would be the fastest way to change the internet-id part of this key to a value of my own (specifically, insert the id of the old xp system)?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 17, 2021 9:41:02 am EDT
Hi Cosmos,

I found that the internet-id is embedded in a binary key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\Host\Parameters

Yes, Remote Utilities Host keeps its settings including Internet-ID in the registry.

As far as I can see this is an XML file encoded into a binary reg key. Which would be the fastest way to change the internet-id part of this key to a value of my own (specifically, insert the id of the old xp system)?

It would be more work to do. A better solution would be just to export and then apply the entire key (.reg file) with Host settings:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\

than to individually change host paraemeters via the registry (this could end up in unexpected behavior).

Hope that helps.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 17, 2021 10:09:13 am EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Please try exporting the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\ and importing it to the new Host installation - this registry key contains the Host Settings, i.e. you will be able to import all the settings from the previous installation, including the previous Internet-ID code.
Please do not modify the registry key manually as it may also violate our EULA.

The fastest way to save the Host settings from the previous installation is to export the registry key I've listed above and after Host is reinstalled simply navigate to the same section of the Registry Editor and select File -> Import - the Host Settings will be automatically imported and applied to your new Host installation. Before importing the registry key please also make sure to close Host completely by right-clicking on the Host icon in the system tray area and selecting Stop Host.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)