New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Can't add free license key

Links used in this discussion
Scott Falk, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 04, 2021 11:55:29 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
After restarting my computer from a BSOD crash (not related to Remote Utilities), when I went to run RU, an error came up saying a file was not accessible. When I clicked ok, the main program came up but all my connections were gone and the program was saying Free Trial Expires in 31 Days. I went to look at my key library and there was nothing listed there.  I've tried to re-add my key but it doesn't add.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, and the key still does not install.  When I enter the key in the box, the Add button lights up, when I click on Add the key dissapears from the box and nothing is added to the main window.

Any help?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 05, 2021 12:22:52 pm EST
Hello Scott,

Thank you for your message.

You should reset your Viewer configuration file:

1. Fully exit the Viewer (File -> Exit).  
2. Open C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder. Note that the AppData folder may be hidden by default in which case you'll need to enable "Hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer settings.  
3. In the folder above locate the file config_4.xml and delete it.  
4. Run the Viewer and re-register it with your license key.

Also, see if you still have your address book backups in that folder. This will let you restore your address book as described here.

Hope that helps.
Scott Falk, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 06, 2021 8:16:15 am EST
Yes!  That fixed it.  Thank you!
John Gerdes, User (Posts: 1)
Apr 08, 2021 8:34:20 pm EDT
HELP! I also cannot get this to work. I was sent the key in a text file but there's no way to insert it as it's looking  for a *.rlicense file.
But I only have an attached key.txt to the email sent to me. I originally did register by pasting the key. But something apparently happened and now being told the trial is over and to register again?
I did delete the config_4.xml file, but it's only wanting the *.rlicense by asking for it's location.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 09, 2021 2:45:54 pm EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that the license key for version 6.x.x.x is incompatible with version 7.x.x.x of Remote Utilities. Please refer to this page for more information. In addition please note that in case for Free License users, you need to generate a new license key to use with version 7 using this form, since the Free license keys are not upgradable. After generating the new key please follow this guide to register your Viewer.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)