New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Running Agent tries to install Host

Links used in this discussion
Hugh Gunz, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 11, 2021 4:51:16 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I've been trying to run Agent 7.0.0.3 on a Windows 10 Pro version 2004 machine. When I launch the .exe, I get the UAC dialog asking for approval to install Host. The Agent is also launched, which is fine, but how can I stop the Host installation process?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 12, 2021 3:45:03 pm EDT
Hello Hugh,

Thank you for your message.

This is expected behavior - running the Agent causes UAC prompt to show since admin privileges might be required for some operations. Please note that the UAC prompt is only shown in order to launch Agent, it does not start Host installation process. In this case the user can choose whether they want to run it with elevated privileges or not. If the user selects "No" in the UAC prompt, the Agent runs as a normal user.

Hope that helps.
Hugh Gunz, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 12, 2021 3:52:21 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Thank you -- yes, that does help. I think what put me off was that what appears in the UAC prompt isn't a reference to Agent, but to Host, so it looks to a naive user like me as if it wants to install Host rather than run Agent. Is there a reason that it refers to Host, rather than Agent?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 12, 2021 5:30:21 pm EDT
Hello Hugh,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Is there a reason that it refers to Host, rather than Agent?

This occurs due to both Agent and Host modules containing files rutserv.exe and rfusclient.exe and their respective system processes of the same name which must be running on the remote machine in order for Host/Agent module to work properly. For more information please see this page.

I think what put me off was that what appears in the UAC prompt isn't a reference to Agent, but to Host, so it looks to a naive user like me as if it wants to install Host rather than run Agent.

Yes, you're right as this part might be confusing to some users. I'll forward this suggestion to our development department for a review to see if we can improve the UAC prompt for Agent in order to make it more distinguished from Host's UAC window. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)