New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Update Previews "F5"

Links used in this discussion
Adam, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 14, 2021 1:06:31 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Windows 10 20H2
Host: 7.0.0.3 (70003)
Viewer: 7.0.0.3

Having several PCs with online PCs in the Viewer in "All Connections", right clicking in the white space and clicking on "Update Previews 'F5'" does nothing (the PC connection icon is therefore yellow).

Only while logged on to a PC do you see the preview (the PC connection icon is therefore green before "Update Previews 'F5'" is clicked).

It would be nice to be able to ID a PC if it is actively being used or not via the preview, without logging on, as the logging on notifies the user, disturbing their work. I understand that you can silence the notification, however actually logging on with the notification is a good feature too.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 14, 2021 5:37:13 pm EDT
Hello Adam,

Thank you for your message.

Do you mean the Advanced hint window? Unfortunately, being able to see previews for logged on connections only is expected behavior.

It would be nice to be able to ID a PC if it is actively being used or not via the preview, without logging on, as the logging on notifies the user, disturbing their work.

Thank you for your suggestion! We already have this feature in our wishlist - we plan to add an "idle time" feature to Viewer so techs would be able to see if the remote machine is being actively used or if it's idle and improve the thumbnail view in order to display more information on the remote Host as well. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on this yet.

Hope that helps.
Adam, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 14, 2021 7:30:51 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Polina,
Yes, the "Advanced Hint Window" is what I mean.
Unfortunately both suggestions means that I don't know whether someone is using their PC before I connect to it remotely.
The "Advanced Hint Window" does not show while hovering over an "online" connection unfortunately.
This would be a fantastic feature for our use case.

I look forward to further updates.

Kind regards,
Adam
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 15, 2021 3:09:23 pm EDT
Hello Adam,

The "Advanced Hint Window" does not show while hovering over an "online" connection unfortunately.

Yes, unfortunately, if the connection is simply "Online" you still would not be able to see the "preview" on the Advanced Hint window - in order to see it, you need to log in to the remote Host. You can also log in without starting a remote session right away - simply right-click on the preferred connection and select "Logon" or navigate to the Connection tab of the Viewer's ribbon toolbar and select "Log on" as described here. This will allow you to see preview of the remote screen in both - address book and in the Advanced Hint window without starting a remote session.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)