New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

General Address Book

Links used in this discussion
Adam, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 14, 2021 1:10:10 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Windows 10 20H2
Host: 7.0.0.3 (70003)
Viewer: 7.0.0.3

This is more of a feature request.
It would be nice to be able to drag and drop connections in the Viewer from "All Connections" into the "General Address Book" to then be able to group/categories the connections for example segregating Servers from PCs and Laptops.

If there already is a method like this, I haven't found it in the documentation and I apologise.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 14, 2021 5:47:18 pm EDT
Hello Adam,

Thank you for your message.

Sorting connections between your address books via drag and drop is already possible. Please note that "All connections" section displays all your connections fr om all your address books that are currently added to your Viewer, i.e. if you currently have only "General address book" added to your Viewer (this is a default address book wh ere all connections get saved by default), then each entry displayed in the "All connections" section is already added to the "General address book". If you add a custom address book, whether a local or synced one, you're able to simply grab the connection entry from the Viewer's right panel, then drag it to the left navigation pane, to the preferred address book and folder.

Hope that helps.
Apr 14, 2021 6:44:20 pm EDT
Hi Polina,

Thank you for the prompt reply.
That is what I assumed of the possibility, however it appears that it does not work for me (see the attached screenshots).
After dragging a connection (PC) into a folder in the General address book subfolder, nothing appears to have copied over.
As per your comment, 'each entry displayed in the "All connections" section is already added to the "General address book"', there are no connections displayed in the address book.
I am using Windows Server "user folder redirections", so where the General address book is stored, is on a UNC path and not sure if this affects the address book functionality? Windows automatically sets the UNC path from registry FYI.

Kind regards,
Adam
Attached Files
General Address Book General Address Book General Address Book General Address Book General Address Book
Edited:Adam - Apr 14, 2021 6:44:51 pm EDT
David Silvera, User (Posts: 16)
Apr 15, 2021 9:51:16 am EDT
Hi Adam,

I just tested this with my own setup. I created a sub-folder called PCs under General Address Book and dragged PC's from my Synced Folder to the PCs folder and then from the PCs folder to the General Address Book and then dragged it back to the Synced folder. No issues.

It maybe your address book folder location that is the issue. My Address Book is in the default location in the C:\Users folder on the C drive.
Apr 15, 2021 2:16:19 pm EDT
Hello Adam and David,

David, thank you for your input. I have just tested this out myself as well and can confirm that dragging and dropping connections works whether it's between local and synced address books or between different folders and sub-folders in the same book.

Adam, I'll forward the question regarding the address book location to our developers and will ask for their input on this to see if this can cause the issue or affect the address book functionality. I'll get back to you with their reply on this soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Apr 15, 2021 6:53:40 pm EDT
Hi Polina and David,

Please note that I have "Offline Files" off - or what you may be referring to as "Synced Folder" meaning (and to my understanding) that my folder is not cached on my local machine in some way. This is where I believe the failure is occurring.
I'll attempt to populate an Address Book that will reside on my C:\ local hard drive and provide feedback.

Kind regards,
Adam
Attached Files
General Address Book
Apr 15, 2021 7:54:17 pm EDT
Hi again Polina and David,

I can confirm that the locally stored (on C:\) Address Book does not store a connection by dragging and dropping.

Attached screenshot steps show no connection in the address book after dragging and dropping:
  • 1. Local address book.png
  • 2. drag to local address book folder.png
  • 3. Local address book after dragging and dropping.png

I run Remote Utilities Viewer as per normal from the Windows Start Menu - I do not "Run As Administrator", if that is any consolation.

Kind regards,
Adam
Attached Files
General Address Book General Address Book General Address Book
Apr 16, 2021 1:34:59 pm EDT
Hello Adam,

Thank you for your patience.

I've checked on the issue with our developers - unfortunately, the fact that your General address book is stored on a UNC path is definitely affecting its functionality in general and might be what is causing the issues with drag and drop.
In order to confirm this, you can install Viewer on a regular Windows machine where the General address book will be stored in the following directory: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\connections_4.xml - this is where General Address book is stored by default. Alternatively, you can also run a Portable Viewer instead. In this case, moving and sorting connection entries by dragging and dropping should work as expected.

Please note that in case if you want to set up the address book sync, it's recommended to it set up as described in this tutorial or even setting up a sync server.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Apr 18, 2021 7:03:31 pm EDT
Hi Polina,

Thank you for the suggestions.
I have tried the portable version, which generates the General Address Book .xml within the folder that the portable app is stored (see attached).
I still can not add connections by dragging and dropping into the General Address Book. The only thing I can do is add a folder to the General Address Book. I can not add a connection to the respective folder either.

Is there a log file that I can securely provide to you for your developers to analyse? I can not seem to find one.

Kind regards,
Adam
Attached Files
General Address Book
Apr 18, 2021 7:18:47 pm EDT
Also, please find this link Folder Redirection, Offline Files, and Roaming User Profiles overview which may help your developers understand the common configuration in a Microsoft Active Directory environment. As per my previous posts, we are configured not enabling "Offline Files" so that the redirections always access the server. This is why, when your Remote Utilities Viewer installed, it associated to the Registry Key "User Shell Folder" of the UNC path demonstrated.
If you have more insight into this, it will be greatly appreciated.

Just so you know, I am testing your support before we buy into your service.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)