New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Problems switching RDP-Session

Links used in this discussion
Gaute Greipsland, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 19, 2021 8:28:22 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi. I am evaluating this software to see if it can replace our current solution. It is doing well, but there is a major problem we have encountered. On a lot of Windows machines it is impossible to connect to other live RDP sessions. We have a domain with a few hundred machines and many of them are remotely controlled by Wyse/Dell thin clients, and we need to be able to connect to those sessions.
Some times it works great, but a lot of times when we sel ect another session nothing happens for a little while and then the software is starting to reconnect. This also happens when we are on the same subnet, so it isn't a firewall issue. It works fine fr om other software as DameWare, ConnectWise and mstsc /shadow:id, but I would really like to get it to work with RemoteUtilities also.
Does anyone have any similar experiences or any good advice?
Apr 19, 2021 8:33:51 am EDT
Ah. I forgot to say: It is RU 7.0.0.3, and the hosts are XP/7/10/2003/2012/2016/2019
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Apr 19, 2021 8:45:56 am EDT
Hello Gaute,

Thank you for your message.

If there are existing terminal sessions running on the remote computer you can switch to the desired session using an dropdown menu on the Full Control mode toolbar.

Let me know if that's what you were looking for.
Apr 19, 2021 8:49:24 am EDT
Hi.
No, that is what we are doing, but it doesn't switch the session as intended. (On a few machines it does, but not on a lot of them). When we try to switch as you describe, the software freezes for 10-15 seconds and then it fades and says "reconnecting". After some more seconds it reconnects to the console and we are where we started.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 19, 2021 1:03:31 pm EDT
Hello Gaute,

Thank you for the clarification.

In this case, could you please check if it's possible to connect to these remote Hosts using Full Control or View Only connection modes instead?  provide us the Host log files fr om the remote machines wh ere the issue occurs and the Viewer log for examination? You can send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Apr 19, 2021 1:21:59 pm EDT
I am already connecting to the host with Full Control and that works great. It's only when I try to switch into an already existing RDP session I have the problem.
I will send the mentioned files on mail.
Apr 19, 2021 5:06:15 pm EDT
Hello Gaute,

Thank you for the provided log files - we've received your email. We will examine the log files and I will also additionally forward them to our developers to ask for their input on this issue.

I'll get back to you with an update on this shortly.
Apr 22, 2021 4:42:46 pm EDT
Hello Gaute,

Thank you for your patience.

I've checked on this issue with our development department - unfortunately, this is expected behavior which occurs due to the fact that the desktop OSs (such as Windows 10) does not allow to simultaneously run a console session and RDP - this is only possible with server OSs if the terminal server is set up.
Please consider using the Full Control connection mode instead.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Apr 23, 2021 1:14:39 am EDT
I guess I have not explained the problem well enough. I have:
1 host running i.e. windows 10
1 thin client connecting to this machine via RDP with user A
So far, so good. Then the user calls me and asks for help.
With my computer, I connect to the host using RU - Full Control connection mode,  - I can see the logon screen on the console, but I do not try to log in. I click on the "Terminal Sessions" button on the toolbar and I can see there is a "#1 Console" (The one I am connected to), and a "#2 A (RDP-TCP#6)" (The session that the user is connected to from the thin client. I click on the "#2 A...." and then wait... and wait... After a few seconds RU disconnects and tries to reconnect, but I am not able to connect to the users session. Is this the expected behavior? All my other remote controlling software are able to do this, I can even connect to the user's session with Microsoft's mstsc (Remote Desktop Client). I am aware of the licensing from Microsoft in regards to the number of allowed active sessions and that I can not log in to the user's session from the Console session without disconnecting the user, so I am not doing that. I just want to "shadow" the RDP session.
Apr 23, 2021 5:11:06 pm EDT
Hello Gaute,

Thank you for clarifying that, I see now that I misunderstood the issue in your previous messages. I apologize if there was some misleading information in my previous responses. I will forward this once again to our developers, this time with a proper explanation on the issue and will ask them for an input on this. Sorry for the inconvenience once again.

I'll get back to you with an update on this shortly.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)