Community

Problems switching RDP-Session

Links used in this discussion
Gaute Greipsland, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 29, 2021 1:12:10 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial

Polina wrote:
I'll get back to you with an update on this shortly.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to it :)
May 04, 2021 3:38:47 am EDT
I hope it will be fixed, or explained to me what I am doing wrong soon since my Trial license is about to expire and I have to make the decision on what software we will purchase soon.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 04, 2021 3:28:08 pm EDT
Hello Gaute,

Thank you for your patience.

I've checked with our developers on the issue once again - unfortunately, they have confirmed that this is expected behavior that occurs due to the fact that only one RDP session can be running on Windows 10 machines at any given time and in this case, it cannot be used along with a console session (and Remote Utilities works in a console session). For example, please see this Microsoft Q&A page. I apologize if this makes our program less useful for you.

Hope that helps.
May 05, 2021 2:27:40 am EDT
So you are actually saying that it is impossible to "Shadow" a Windows 10 machine with your software, although it works sometimes, and all the time with other software? Your software can not be used to support a user who is RDP'ing into a Windows 10 machine? I still believe it is a misunderstanding. I am NOT trying to log on as a second user - I am only interested in seeing and interacting with the screen of the already RDP-logged on user. The Microsoft Q&A page you linked to confirms that it is possible in Windows 10, and allowed from a licensing point of view as well, but you say that your software does not support this.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 05, 2021 6:25:52 pm EDT
Hello Gaute,

I understand your situation and I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but I simply forwarded the information I've received from our developers on this issue. In fact, I've tried reproducing your scenario as well, but it only works exactly as our developers stated - after I've connected to a remote machine via RDP, I also connected to the same machine via Full Control or via the View Only connection modes and when I switch to the Terminal session in my Full Control window, it simply kicks the other user out of the RDP session. I've tested this with both Windows 10 and Windows 7 just in case.

Sorry for the caused inconvenience once again.
May 06, 2021 1:22:13 am EDT
Ok, thanks for your efforts. I guess we have to go with one of the other softwares that allows this.
asdffdsa, User (Posts: 41)
May 17, 2021 11:57:18 am EDT
Support level: Starter

Gaute Greipsland wrote:

I am only interested in seeing and interacting with the screen of the already RDP-logged on user

hello,
i am also interested to shadow.

if you could take the .rdp file from RUViewer and add some values to the .rdp file, could you get it working that way?
May 18, 2021 12:46:49 am EDT

asdffdsa wrote:
if you could take the .rdp file from RUViewer and add some values to the .rdp file, could you get it working that way?

No. They say their software is not able to do this, so you have to either use Microsoft RDP client and run some scripts to find the session-id you want to shadow, or use some of the other remote softwares that are able to do this out of the box.
asdffdsa, User (Posts: 41)
May 18, 2021 9:15:19 am EDT
Support level: Starter
if you know of any scripts that get the session id and what needs to be feed to the rdp client, i would like to see that.

for RU, i was having an issue with it overwriting values in the .rdp file, as documented so i wrote a script to work around that.

this is a snippet of a support ticked i opened with RU.

in the end, i had to write an autohotkey script.
1. run 'rutview.exe /rdp' - which will update the .rdp with the correct port number for 'full address:s:localhost:'
2. wait for the 'windows security' pop-up to appear asking for the rdp username/password.
3. kill that pop-up window.
4. copy the rdp from rdp_connections to temp.rdp
5. edit temp.rdp file to tweak the settings i need.
6. run temp.rdp using mstsc.exe but NOT rutview.exe
7. be happy
thanks,
Edited:asdffdsa - May 18, 2021 9:15:51 am EDT
Michael Albright, User (Posts: 3)
Jun 09, 2021 2:27:15 pm EDT
I have around 80 Win 10 machines we use RU with.

I am able to,  90% of the time, connect to the machine and switch to the remote session.  this has almost been a requirement during the past year of everyone working from home during the pandemic.

The response from the Dev's seems like an easy (lazy) answer, but I couldn't say what the "Full Control" connection is actually using, assuming it's NOT just RDP..

I found this post as I now have 3 Pro licenses and was researching why 1 out of 10 times it won't let me connect to the session when I connect in "Full Control" mode.

I am discouraged that when Polina went to the Dev team, with what seems like a legit request, only to get  questionable responses to "pass along" to the end users
Edited:Spooner Tech - Jun 09, 2021 3:18:50 pm EDT

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)