New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

ru server frames sent to relay or directly to viewer.

Links used in this discussion
mike webb, User (Posts: 10)
May 04, 2021 10:03:16 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
i understand that ru server helps connect computers. after the connection between 2 computers is made does the frame by frame info from one computer to the other also go thru the server ? or once connected, both computers communicate the frame by frame  info directly to each other.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 05, 2021 12:13:22 pm EDT
Hello Mike,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that when Internet-ID connection is used, Host and Viewer are connected via an intermediary server - it might be our public servers or your self-hosted RU Server. This means that Viewer and Host machines communicate with each other via the server. In case if you want your Viewer to connect to a remote Host directly, i.e. without any servers between them, then please consider using Direct connection instead - this connection type does not require any intermediary servers in-between Viewer and Host.

However, please note that all traffic that Remote Utilities sends over the network is encrypted via TLS 1.2. The data encryption is always on by default and cannot be disabled by the user. Transferred data is encrypted regardless of connection type and user license. For more information please also see our Security page.

Hope that helps.
May 06, 2021 2:00:29 pm EDT
i think i understand, but just to be sure. the way i see things is that the host is sending a series of screenshots to the viewer. something like 15 per second. with direct connect the screenshots are sent directly from the host to the viewer. the other way is to send the screenshots to a relay server, ether yours or a private relay. that relay then  sends the screenshots on to the viewer. seems to me direct connect would be much faster.a private relay on the host machine would also be very fast. i realize its alittle more complicated that just screenshots but basicly thats how things work. i'm i getting this right?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 06, 2021 5:33:51 pm EDT
Hello Mike,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, Direct connection is always faster than the Internet-ID connection, so it's recommended to connect via Direct connection when possible. Perhaps, these pages might also provide some helpful information as well:
1. RU overview with a short video-guide.
2. Direct connection.
3. Internet-ID connection.

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.
May 07, 2021 5:08:59 pm EDT
SUCCESS !! i was able to poke the holes thru the firewalls and make a direct connection. thanks for explaining to me whats happening "under the hood". i have further questions but i believe its best to start a new thread because it has nothing to do with "direct connection" more to do with cpu usage.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)