New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux

Links used in this discussion
Asaf Tevet, User (Posts: 19)
Mar 05, 2024 8:24:24 pm EST
ok so today I had the opportunity to set this up remotely for a MAC client for the first time. We went to the RU page, MAC section, download the agent and opened the agent file. What I expected to happen was that a normal agent screen would come up with some connection details - ID/password kinda stuff, but instead all that came up was a COG and it said DONE. There was no agent running that I could see on screen or in any taskbar...  what did we do wrong?
Tried the same actions multiple times - downloaded the agent again - same results :(
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 06, 2024 7:08:26 pm EST
Hello Asaf,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please send us a screenshot of your remote machine screen to see what’s happening when you run Agent? You can send it to support@remoteutilities.com or create a ticket.

Looking forward to your reply.
Allan Hall, User (Posts: 43)
Mar 07, 2024 3:36:56 pm EST
Agent 1.0.17.b17_amd64 on 64bit Ubuntu 23.10. It shows in the viewer under Windows 11 as running but when I connect I get the normal "Connecting to ....  Please wait" screen, then the screen on the viewer goes black and thats it. The Ubuntu install is running in VirtualBox (7.0.14) on the same computer so I can see both screens. I do not believe It is just a display problem because I have an active terminal and keypresses are not transmitted and right clicks do nothing. On the Ubuntu machine, I can see in the Remote Utilities pop-up the other machine is showing as connected.

Ideas?
Mar 07, 2024 7:26:49 pm EST
Hello Allan,

I'll forward the issue to our developers to see if they can offer any feedback on this.

I'll keep you updated.
Mar 08, 2024 11:28:05 am EST
I also want to make sure I am doing the install right as Linux is not really a comfortable arena for me. The only way I could get it to "install" is to use dpkg. Double clicking on it, right click and select archive manager, right click and select open with...run software, all do not actually install the software. Using dpkg installs it so that I can then hit the Windows key and search for it, then run it.

Is that correct or am I missing something?
Mar 08, 2024 2:00:43 pm EST
Hello Allan,

Yes, it seems like you’re doing it correctly. I’ve checked with our developers on the issue and they think that the issue is most likely caused by your system using Wayland as its display server catalogue instead of x11 (Xorg). Please try switching your system to using x11 instead and see if this helps to resolve the issue.

Hope that helps
Mar 08, 2024 4:19:05 pm EST
Yes, switching to xorg instead of Wayland solved that issue. Can I assume that support for Wayland is eventually coming?

A point to help others, if you attempt to switch to xorg from Wayland in VB7 you will no longer be able to log in. Close the VM, enable 3D acceleration in the settings, relaunch the VM and you should be good.
Jim Tracey, User (Posts: 20)
Mar 08, 2024 4:32:30 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I'm wondering if there is any new on this as shown below...

Having recently upd ated my Linux box to Zorin 17, connecting still works, but the screen on the remote (Windows 11) machine is now just black. The connection is listed on the Linux machine and the mouse appears to be moving, though invisible, as different parts of the Linux screen highlight, indicating mouseover.
Quote | Name

Pauline, Support (Posts: 2747)

Feb 06, 2024 7:34:00 pm EST

Hello Jim,

Please double-check if you have the Blank the host's screen option enabled in the Connection properties -> Additional properties tab. Try disabling the option, and reconnecting to your remote machine.

Hope that helps.
Quote | Name

Jim Tracey, User (Posts: 17)

Feb 06, 2024 8:06:19 pm EST

There is no such option on the Linux host. When I se t it for that connection in the Windows viewer it does nothing, in fact after connecting to the Linux machine and checking back, it is no longer enabled. It's the remote screen that shows a blank, regardless of this setting.

I also discovered this same symptom occurs when I access Linux from my Android phone.
Mar 08, 2024 5:10:56 pm EST
Hello Jim,

Have you already tried switching your Linux system from Wayland display server catalogue to x11 (Xorg)?

Let us know if this helps.
Mar 08, 2024 5:25:45 pm EST
Hello Allan,

I’m glad to hear this worked for you!

Can I assume that support for Wayland is eventually coming?

Yes, since Wayland is newer, we plan to eventually include its support in our upcoming updates for Linux.

Let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)