New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux

Links used in this discussion
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 12, 2019 2:34:11 pm EST
Update July 26, 2024: We have released Remote Utilities Beta 18 for macOS and Linux. A new codec has been added that signficiantly improves speed and performance. You can now switch the quality mode on the fly or in connection properties. See more information about how the new codec works in this blog post (the new codec is available both on Windows and on macOS/Linux version).

The Host for macOS and Linux is in development and is planned for inclusion in the final release.

About key mapping when connecting from a PC to a Mac:
  • The Ctrl key on PC is mapped to the Command key on macOS.
  • The Alt key on PC is mapped to the Option key on macOS.
  • The Shift key functions identically on both OS.
  • The Windows key on PC acts as the Ctrl key on macOS.

Screenshots:

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux - 26 Jul 2024 05:35:46

Download pages:

Download Viewer & Agent for Mac
Download Viewer & Agent for Linux

The Beta versions come with a core set of functionalities, and we have plans to introduce additional features in upcoming updates.

Included in the most recent Beta:

- Full control and view connection mode
- Direct and Internet-ID connection
- Single password and Remote Utilities security
- Address book in XML format compatible with Windows Viewer
- Multiple address books and address books manager
- Address book sync via RU Server
- Normal and Stretch options for the view mode
- Send Ctrl+Alt+Del
- Displaying remote cursor shape (rendering of Host's cursor)
- Advanced mouse scroll (moving the cursor to screen edges to scroll the picture)
- Fixed issue with RU Security authentication
- Mouse wheel support
- Drag and drop, moving and copying of connections with an address book and across address books
- Fullscreen view option in Full Control and View connection mode
- Automatic reconnect when connection is broken or briefly interrupted
- New codec (nextgen codec) for faster speed and performance. Requires both Viewer and Agent update.
- Improved old codec for faster performance (requires both Viewer and Agent update).
- Automatic quality selection system for the new codec.
- Added support for transferring the mouse pointer shape.

Features to be implemented at subsequent beta stages and the final release:

- File Transfer connection mode
- Clipboard content transfer between local and remote
- Power Control connection mode
- Authentication via RU Server ("Custom Server Security")
- Thumbnail view of connections in the address book
- Viewer log.

Frequently asked questions

Q: How is this Viewer licensed?
A: This beta version for Mac and Linux is licensed the same way as Windows Viewer i.e. it requires a license key. The same license key can be used for all platforms. Agent doesn't require a license.

Q: Can I import my existing address book from Viewer for Windows to Viewer for Mac or Linux?
A: Yes. Simply use the Address Book Manager and specify the path to your address book XML file. Viewer for Windows and Viewer for Mac/Linux use the same address book format.

Q: Can I use RU Server address book sync with Mac/Linux Viewer?
A: Yes, you can. When adding an address book in Mac/Linux Viewer you have an option to choose a remote (synchronized) address book and add your RU Server address.

Feel free to send us your feedback and bug reports.

Thanks!
Gary Hunt, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 08, 2020 11:55:40 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hello Conrad,

I am having problems installing and using Viewer for Mac including adding the Free License Key. Is there a step by step manual for installing, registering the license key and using the application? My organisation is using a Windows machine that I am attempting to access via a Mac. Any help at a basic level would be very helpful... The process given including the video seems to be aimed at Windows users and I don't get the same experience in OSX.

Thank you,

Gary
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 08, 2020 2:37:19 pm EST
Hello Gary,

The beta version doesn't require a registration with a license key since it's in a beta stage and freely available. In order to install Viewer for Mac download the dmg file on your Mac computer and double click/run it. This will invoke a window where you should drag the program icon to the Apps icon folder which will copy/install the files to your Applications. You can then run Viewer from there.

Any help at a basic level would be very helpful...

Since the beta Viewer is currently limited in functionality we are not proving extensive documentation for it. Rather, everything that you need to get started is covered in this blog post. By the time we release the final version which is going to have more features than these initial beta releases we will also provide complete documentation.

Hope that helps.
Gary Hunt, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 08, 2020 3:00:07 pm EST
Many thanks Conrad!

I will try again and see if I am missing an obvious step or two?

Have a great day!

Gary
Ian Wilmshurst, User (Posts: 4)
Feb 21, 2020 11:49:56 am EST
Not sure if i missing something, but am trying to install but when i extract the tar all i get us a file called 'viewer' that appears to do nothing no matter what I do?  Was expecting to find a .deb or a folder with a readme with instructions etc?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 21, 2020 5:41:03 pm EST
Hello Ian,

Thank you for your message.

I have forwarded this to our development department and ask for their input. I'll get back to you soon with their reply.
In the meantime, could you please let me know if I'm right in assuming that you use Linux Debian? If this is the case, please let me know which exact version do you use.

Looking forward to your reply.
Ian Wilmshurst, User (Posts: 4)
Feb 22, 2020 2:55:20 am EST
It is debian and its on a chromebook. Not sure of the revision?
Feb 25, 2020 3:27:14 pm EST
Hello Ian,

Thank you for your message.

I checked with our developers on this - the downloaded *tar.gz file is an executive file. Could you please clarify if you use an x64-based processor or if it's x86-based? In addition, please let us know if there are any error messages shown in the terminal when you try running the Viewer file? You can send us a screenshot of the terminal to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Einfacher Benutzer, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 13, 2020 2:36:16 pm EDT
Remote Utilities is really excellent! I was wondering if someone could tell me if this program supports a 5 button mouse? I can't seem to get it to send 4th and 5th button click events from a 5 button Microsoft Intellimouse. Thanks!
Mar 13, 2020 3:12:00 pm EDT
Hello Einfacher,

Thank you for your kind words!

Unfortunately, right now additional mouse buttons are not supported in Remote Utilities. However, we already have this issue in our roadmap and will implement the support for extra mouse buttons in our future updates. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)