New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

What about VPN?

Links used in this discussion
Cristian Braun, User (Posts: 32)
May 03, 2018 11:22:37 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I know its not what this software is meant to do but..
What about a VPN Server capability?
You know.. like "the competition"
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 03, 2018 1:50:43 pm EDT
Hello Cristian,

Thank you for your suggestion. This capability is on our wish list albeit not among the nearest priorities. Still, it well may be that at some point in the future there'll be Remote Utilities VPN too.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions.
Alan Welsh, User (Posts: 5)
Dec 09, 2023 12:30:40 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I hope that you can provide a "secure VPN" at some point.  Let me define what I'm trying to do as an example, (so I don't ask for the wrong terminology or implementation:

I take care of a PC 100 miles away for my 96 year old mother.  I just added her Roku TV to my account, but I still can't run their Android Remote Control APP to change her channels remotely.  The app only shows registered devices on my LAN.  So, in this case, I just need to "tie / bridge / forward" her LAN to my LAN, over WAN.  (I can use RU if the ability was there, but I guess that is it's own huge project?)

-- This does bring up another subject -- what is encrypted (or not) when using RU??  (If answered already elsewhere, like in the main feature page, please ignore the question since that helps no one.  But, IF there are issues we should be aware of, then an answer would help everyone.

(THANK YOU, -- RU has been great for me to help her!.  It's only bad when I forget to close the connection when finished, since the nag screen appears to block her view bottom right, so I get a CALL anytime 24x7 if she sees it, telling me to FIX IT NOW!  :) )
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 26, 2024 11:09:37 am EST
Hello Alan,

Thank you for your message.

You are absolutely right saying that VPN is another realm and a huge project on its own. Answering your question about security - absolutely all traffic that Remote Utilities sends and receives is TLS-secured, there are no exceptions. The type of license makes no difference in this respect.

It's only bad when I forget to close the connection when finished

If you navigate to connection properties -> Additional properties, you can enable the 'Log off connection on disconnect' option. If you close the active Full Control window - which is probably what you do when you finish task - the program will also log you off from the remote PC. Currently, because you are still being logged on to the remote PC even after an active session, the alert message is shown.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)