New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Create Map Drive to Remote Host Drive or Folder

Greg Sullivan, User (Posts: 12)
Jul 02, 2024 8:08:07 am EDT
Support level: Starter
File Transfer works fine for some stuff.

But it would be very awesome if RU could create a mapped drive on the viewer system that points to a drive (or folder) on the remote host.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jul 05, 2024 12:42:02 pm EDT
Hello Greg,

Thank you for your message.

I apologize for the late reply. Would you be able to elaborate a bit more on the feature suggestion, so I can submit it to our developers for a review?

Looking forward to your reply.
Greg Sullivan, User (Posts: 12)
Jul 05, 2024 1:50:53 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
Hi Pauline,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll do my best.  :)

Sometimes when working with a remote host, I need to simply move a file to/fr om the host.  In this case, the File Transfer mode that RU currently provides is entirely sufficient.

However, frequently I have more elaborate file transfer needs.  That might be:
1) synchronizing multiple specific files located in different folders across the drive
2) pushing/pulling files based on a script executing on the viewer computer.
3) iteratively tweaking CFG/INI files on the host without disrupting the activities on host desktop.

If the host computer were on the local network of the viewer computer, I would simply share a folder from the host computer and map a drive from the viewer computer:
  net use z: \\host_system\share
now any program on the viewer computer can work with the mapped drive Z: just like any other drive.

But if the host computer is truly remote, I believe this can't currently be done without involving several extra steps, leveraging other solutions.

I regularly find myself thinking it would be very cool and useful for RU to have a built-in feature wh ere, once a viewer has logged on to a host, a mapped/virtual drive could be created on viewer computer that points to a location on the host computer.  Not suggesting this is a simple feature, but it seems to me many of the key mechanisms are already in place.

Hope that helps!

Greg
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jul 05, 2024 5:43:38 pm EDT
Hello Greg,

Thank you for the provided details.

I'll forward your feedback to our developers to see if they can offer some input on this or if we're able to implement this functionality in our upcoming updates.

Let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)