New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Alt+Tab and Windows+Tab to local PC?

Links used in this discussion
john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Dec 26, 2014 10:35:26 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
When viewing a remote computer in full control, Alt+Tab and Windows+Tab key combinations will be sent to the remote PC to switch windows on the REMOTE PC. That's great.

But sometimes i want them to apply to the local PC.  Eg, to Alt+Tab away from my viewer on the local PC to another window on the local PC.

I can do this by mouse-clicking some other window on the remote PC first.  I usually have the remote PC view in full screen, so i click on an icon in the task bar.

But i like to keep my fingers on the keyboard as much as possible.

Is there a key sequence to use switch windows on the LOCAL PC while viewing a remote PC in the viewer.

Or is there a key sequence to say that the next key should go to the local PC, rather than the remote?

I searched features and forum and could not find it.  Sorry if it's already here somewhere.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 28, 2014 1:44:12 pm EST
Hello John,

Sorry, but currently there's no option to arbitrarily change Alt + Tab behavior. That is, being able to press a modifier key that would make it "local" rather than "remote" on-the-fly.

However, this makes a good feature suggestion. Let me move this topic to our "Feature suggestions" forum and also add it to our wish list. Our developers will take a look at it and see if it can be implemented.

Thanks.
Angus Scott-Fleming, User (Posts: 11)
Jun 12, 2015 8:22:04 pm EDT
Perhaps you could use Right-Alt-Tab and Left-Alt-Tab.  Obviously (to us English speakers) Left==Local and Right==Remote [grin].
Jun 13, 2015 2:56:13 pm EDT

Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:
Perhaps you could use Right-Alt-Tab and Left-Alt-Tab.  Obviously (to us English speakers) Left==Local and Right==Remote [grin].

Thank you. I've added this as a comment to this feature request in our roadmap.
Jun 20, 2015 2:02:49 pm EDT
Hello John,

Remote Utilities update 6.3.0.4 now allows you to switch to windows on the local desktop by hitting Shift + Alt + Tab. See what's new in version 6.3.0.4.
Jun 22, 2015 10:23:04 am EDT
Thanks!

It's interesting because Alt + Tab currently moves you forward in the list of windows, and Shift + Alt + Tab currently moves you backwards in the list of windows. I personally do already currently use Shift + Alt + Tab to move backwards in windows. So this new feature will mask that old feature, but only on the remote PC.  I wonder, is the hotkey selection settable?

But, anyway, i can also use Windows + Tab and Shift + Windows + Tab to go forward and backward thru the windows (in a different order, most recently used) and i use that a lot, and that's still there.

This is a big step forward. Thanks!
Jun 22, 2015 1:34:15 pm EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for the kind words!

Yes, we are aware of this odd effect. Unfortunately, this hotkey cannot be mapped.

Instead of Shift we thought about using the A key. We just need to gather some feedback from users first - perhaps, the Shift key is still better for the majority of them to use.  
Aug 17, 2015 10:40:24 am EDT
I *finally* :P upgraded to 6.3. This feature was announced in 6.3.0.4. My viewer (portable) and my host (the agent) are at v6.3.0.6.

But when I tried Shift + Alt + Tab it just cycled backwards thru the REMOTE windows, like usual. Do I have to enable it?  I notice that this key combo is not listed in Viewer -> Tools -> Options -> HotKeys, whereas the other new one released at the same time, Alt + F12, to switch from full control to view only, is there.
Aug 17, 2015 1:50:39 pm EDT
Hello John,

What operating system is on the Viewer PC?

BTW, we were thinking about maybe changing the Shift to something else, like "A" key for example. Sometimes people indeed use Shift - Alt - Tab to cycle backwards and they expect to find this behavior available during RU session.
Aug 17, 2015 3:40:09 pm EDT
Meant to say that: both are windows 7. Alt-A-Tab? But 'A' isnt a modifier.

I suggest you stick with F12 since you use it for other things. Looks like based on default settings
  • Shift+F12
  • Shift+Ctrl+F12
  • Shift+Ctrl+Alt+F12
  • Shift+Alt+F12
are still available. And it would be nice to be settable in HotKeys like the others.

Note that, really, it does not have to be, technically, "cycle between local windows", but more like "shift focus to local window manager". Once that happens, Alt+Tab and Shift+Alt+Tab will be serviced by local window manager. As will Window+Tab and Shift+Window+Tab. This would require say Shift+F12, then let go of keys, then Alt+Tab. So it takes one separate key combo extra to start cycling. For example, what I do now, when focus is on the remote window, is click the task bar of the local windows, then Alt+Tab works locally.

One more detail. When you do Alt+F12 (or click the icon) to go into view only, all the keystrokes STILL go to the remote window manager. Instead of that, in view only, it would be nice if
  • Alt + Tab
  • Shift + Alt + Tab
  • Windows + Tab
  • Shift + Windows + Tab
went to the local windows manager, much like they do for any other window of any other program that's in focus.
Edited:john kumpf - Aug 17, 2015 3:50:11 pm EDT

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)