Community

[ Closed ] mac viewer?

Links used in this discussion
Marc Mercer, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 16, 2017 1:12:35 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Given the age of this ticket and the earlier 'suggestions' of timeline for at minimal a viewer, even if you can't promise a timeline, a bit more transparency would be greatly appreciated.  I was thrilled to have found this product, but unfortunately, without mac viewer support, can't recommend it for use right now.  I come to the forums and I see a post about this back in 2014 that talks about the next year.... and that same story repeats every year for 3 years?  That does not raise much confidence for potential customers and clients.

Without giving us 'expectations' of an actual date, why not tell us (in a blog post, in SOMETHING), where the progress *is* at with it, what the obstacles currently are preventing it, opening it up to beta testing and user feedback registration for when that time comes, etc?

Transparency would be highly valuable in a case like this where the current indication is 'its coming, we've told you for three years its coming... but we can't say when!'

That's no better than simple click-bait.

Here's to hoping for more information soon.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3022)
Apr 16, 2017 5:44:42 am EDT
Hello Marc,

Thank you for your message.

We understand how important the Viewer for Mac can be for some users. The work on it is in progress now. Unfortunately, we couldn't provide it earlier simply because there were other priorities - features we needed to implement to increase our paid customer base. It's not that we don't want to or cannot implement all suggestions that we receive, it's only that we work on priorities because we must think about our bottom line. It's as simple as that.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Allen O'Loughlin, User (Posts: 1)
Apr 22, 2017 5:26:12 am EDT
Thanks Marc for emphasizing the question and clarifying what's at stake. And thanks Conrad for answering more directly and giving us a better sense of development priorities. May I suggest that, for the sake of your bottom line, provision of a Mac viewer is a deal breaker for many organizations. You may be losing customers simply because a Mac viewer is not available.

I was pleasantly surprised when my colleague found your software, and how easy it is to configure and use. We use it at our small charity hospital to monitor our user base. However, I work from home on a Mac, so am unable (at present) to monitor usage on my off days (which may be good for my well-being, but not good for my peace-of-mind!). Would appreciate getting news of the Mac viewer asap.

Thanks for your great work!
Apr 22, 2017 12:54:59 pm EDT
Hello Allen,

You are absolutely right. Even a few years ago from now Mac viewer wasn't yet that important. But today it is a must. So we will try hard to release it as soon as we can.

By the way, the licensing model isn't going to change. That is, license-wise there will be no difference between Mac and PC Viewers, they will be treated the same.
Allan Hall, User (Posts: 43)
May 03, 2017 10:44:12 am EDT
I am writing this on a MacBook Pro and I have Remote Utilities viewer installed under VirtualBox on Windows 7 Pro. This works fine for when I need to work on my Mac and still use RU. I would have thought that any tech using RU would have the capability of installing Windows on a Mac but maybe I am wrong.

I would be MUCH more interested in a RU host for Mac as that would give me something I can not do now. I am also looking forward to improvements to the iOS version.
May 04, 2017 5:52:57 am EDT
Hi Allan,

Viewer also works in Wine for Mac OSX (https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS).
Robert Correa, User (Posts: 1)
Jul 15, 2017 9:46:37 am EDT
As a current Pro license holder will we automatically receive a notification when the Mac host is released or will we need to keep checking the website manually to see when it's released?

I personally have both Windows PCs and Macs in my house and I would love to have the host installed on all of my machines...as well as using ONE client package to support both my Windows and Mac customers instead of having to use a "free" client for Macs.

Thanks in advance.
Jul 16, 2017 12:51:59 pm EDT
Hello Robert,

As a current Pro license holder will we automatically receive a notification when the Mac host is released or will we need to keep checking the website manually to see when it's released?

We send a newsletter about major upgrades to all existing customers so you will receive a message from us anyway. We may not send a newsletter about minor releases (to avoid bothering customers) , but a Mac version will definitely qualify as a major release.

As for when the Mac version is going to be available, I can only say that our developers are currently working on it, so it's our highest/current priority now.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have other questions.
Bernie Mendezabal, User (Posts: 1)
Sep 12, 2017 6:29:43 pm EDT
We are waiting the Mac OS to be released this year, we have server using Mac now.
Sep 13, 2017 5:33:31 am EDT
Hello Bernie,

We are planning to release Viewer for Mac first. The Host is going to come later, but not this year.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)