New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

adding connections directly to the viewer

Links used in this discussion
erede erdes, User (Posts: 2)
Jan 06, 2019 7:54:16 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
it would be perfect if the host sends the internet id to the viewer instead of email and add connections directly.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 06, 2019 10:04:09 am EST
Hello Erede,

Remote Utilities is stand alone software, it isn't a web service with a web account. The Host cannot "send the Internet-ID to the Viewer" because the Host wouldn't know where the Viewer is.
Jeremy C, User (Posts: 10)
Jan 22, 2019 10:14:01 pm EST
Hi Conrad,
Could Host send this via the viewer tunnel back to viewer?
OOOPs. I just realised that new agent/host cannot tunnel to viewer unless connected.
BUT
if Viewer connects to new agent/host, then it could potentially push its iD to Auto add to viewer via icon on host side menu.
Edited:Jeremy C - Jan 22, 2019 11:17:11 pm EST
Jan 23, 2019 11:14:58 am EST
Hello Jeremy,

When you are connecting to a remote Host/Agent from Viewer that means that you already have the corresponding record added to the address book :) So there is nothing to push anymore in this scenario because you already know the ID of the remote Host.

Currently, there are three methods of getting a remote Host ID information and add it to the Viewer:

1. "Manually", which means literally noting down the ID or getting it from the remote user via email, Skype etc.

2. Having Host/Agent send the access credentials to you via email (by specifying your SMTP server credentials when configuring your installer).

3. Enabling auto-import in RU Server settings. That means, of course, that you should install and use RU Server and sync your address book through it.

That said, implementing an online account is on our wish list too albeit not in immediate plans.

Don't hesitate to ask, if you have other questions.
Jeremy C, User (Posts: 10)
Jan 23, 2019 7:42:10 pm EST
Hi Conrad,
I have looked at 3. but have not implemented it since I am the only "agent". Most of the time I do copy/paste and edit some settings. Thanks your suggestion, will try.

On this sub-subject - a modified host file is too large for email. It would be nice if it could upload it to this support area. Since we have to login to this forum and able to upload pics (which are appreciably larger), then we could get a "private" shareable link for new host to download and install.

Also another sub-subject, the Agent download is not very visible to a new user without much hand-holding. Trying to tell an non-computer literate person to click on Host then click on Agent is too inundating when the user we are trying to support is already having issues with their pc. Would be very much helpful if the Agent download is its own download icon.
Jan 24, 2019 2:34:46 pm EST
Hi Jeremy,

On this sub-subject - a modified host file is too large for email. It would be nice if it could upload it to this support area. Since we have to login to this forum and able to upload pics (which are appreciably larger), then we could get a "private" shareable link for new host to download and install.

We will certainly consider adding such ability to the web account.

Also another sub-subject, the Agent download is not very visible to a new user without much hand-holding. Trying to tell an non-computer literate person to click on Host then click on Agent is too inundating when the user we are trying to support is already having issues with their pc. Would be very much helpful if the Agent download is its own download icon.

Do you mean the Download page? Sure, we will see what we can do.

Thanks.
Trent, User (Posts: 56)
Jan 25, 2019 8:10:37 am EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Do you mean the Download page? Sure, we will see what we can do.

Thanks.

I'd +1 that suggestion.  Would be nice to have a Run Only agent download link right on the home page!

I also had a question about the RU Server address book sync.  How quickly/often does the sync happen between the server and viewer?  Immediately upon address book update on the server (i.e. the server pushes a notification to the viewer to update), on a timed interval, or only at viewer launch?  If the latter 2, is there a command within the viewer to force an immediate update?

Thanks!
Jan 25, 2019 8:25:03 am EST
Hello Trent,

I'd +1 that suggestion. Would be nice to have a Run Only agent download link right on the home page!

I can explain why we would rather not put direct Agent link right on the home page. Unlike some of our well-known competitors our program consists of distinct separate modules, and isn't all-in-one. Agent is for remote computer only, it doesn't act as Viewer. Therefore new users will be misled by the link thinking that this is the same app both for the tech and for remote user. Instead, as you can see, we just direct them to the download page where we do our best to explain what Viewer and Host are and provide the necessary links.

How quickly/often does the sync happen between the server and viewer? Immediately upon address book update on the server (i.e. the server pushes a notification to the viewer to update), on a timed interval, or only at viewer launch?

The sync happens real time whenever update took place. If the address book was updated on the server, the changes are reflected in Viewer address book immediately, provided that Viewer is being signed in on the Server, of course (it is not or the sync process is broken if you see an exclamation sign on the cloud icon). If Viewer is not signed in then the update will happen immediately once sign-in happens next time.
Trent, User (Posts: 56)
Jan 31, 2019 8:55:32 am EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello Trent,

I'd +1 that suggestion. Would be nice to have a Run Only agent download link right on the home page!

I can explain why we would rather not put direct Agent link right on the home page. Unlike some of our well-known competitors our program consists of distinct separate modules, and isn't all-in-one. Agent is for remote computer only, it doesn't act as Viewer. Therefore new users will be misled by the link thinking that this is the same app both for the tech and for remote user. Instead, as you can see, we just direct them to the download page where we do our best to explain what Viewer and Host are and provide the necessary links.

Excellent point, sir!

How quickly/often does the sync happen between the server and viewer? Immediately upon address book update on the server (i.e. the server pushes a notification to the viewer to update), on a timed interval, or only at viewer launch?

The sync happens real time whenever update took place. If the address book was updated on the server, the changes are reflected in Viewer address book immediately, provided that Viewer is being signed in on the Server, of course (it is not or the sync process is broken if you see an exclamation sign on the cloud icon). If Viewer is not signed in then the update will happen immediately once sign-in happens next time.

Awesome!
Edited:Trent - Jan 31, 2019 8:56:21 am EST

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)