Community

Bigger thumbnail sizes

Links used in this discussion
Norbert Glaser, User (Posts: 4)
Jun 03, 2019 6:29:07 am EDT
Support level: Starter
It would be nice, to have bigger thumbnails.

In version 6.10.9.0 the maximum size of the thumbnails is 240 (px?).
When the thumbnail mode is selected on the viewer tab, the size can be controlled with the "Preview size" slider between 95 and 240. (480 or 720 size can not be selected, but it would be great)

If the host has multiple monitors (2, or even worse, 3), the maximum thumbnail size of 240 is for me too small.
It's hard to see, if there are some error messages on the remote host, or something gone wrong, especially when the viewer runs on a 4K monitor.

I found the corresponding option in the config_4.xml file:

<optAvatarSize>240</optAvatarSize>

but changeing it to a bigger value in a text editor, causes the viewer to crash, when it's started.
(The thumbnail frames are displayed larger, but the remote desktop image is not, the viewer hangs.)
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jun 03, 2019 11:50:35 am EDT
Hello Norbert,

Thank you for your message.

There is a system limitation of 256. We will still verify if this limitation still applies at different dpi settings though.
Jun 04, 2019 2:04:51 am EDT
Hello Conrad Sallian!

Thanks for your answer!

I tought, that the thumbnail (avatar) remote images are the same way recieved and displayed, as the "Advanced hint window", that appears when hovering with the mouse.
These hover hint windows can be pinned down, and resized to my desired bigger size.

If the thumbnails can't be made bigger, then i have another feature request. :)

I like those hint windows very much, i used to open and pin down 4-5 at one time, resize and arrange them, but the sizes and positions are lost, when they get closed.

Maybe they could be "remember" their positions and sizes (saved to the connection address book properties).
Or even better: save multiple opened "Advanced hint window" arrangement as some sort of layout, then those different layouts could be opened. Like a "surveilance camera video wall", but for remote desktops.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jun 05, 2019 3:23:29 am EDT
Hello Norbert,

Thank you for your suggestion! I will add it to our wish list and hopefully it will make its way into our development plans.
Jun 05, 2019 3:53:14 am EDT
Thank you! :)
mavika, User (Posts: 4)
Oct 28, 2020 4:34:09 pm EDT
Hello!

Mostly I only watch for stable versions.

But I’m glad to see this in the 6.12.2.0 Beta 2:

Added: Maximum address book thumbnail size is now 1024px instead of 250px

I will definitely give it a try. Thank you guys for this!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Oct 28, 2020 5:00:15 pm EDT
Hello Mavika,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that despite its name, the 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version is still a fully functional version as it consists mostly of bug fixes and implemented improvements.

Please feel free to post another message if you have other questions or need further assistance.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)