Community

Remote Security > Conformation once only?

Robert Frohreich, User (Posts: 5)
Sep 22, 2019 10:26:53 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm new and probably posted this in the wrong place, and got no reply.
------------------------------
Viewer: 6.I0.10.0
Host: 6.10.10.0
W10 pro on both ends

I have several friends and family who occasionally need help.   [censored] worked well until they marked me as a commercial user. RU is working great, except that even though one neighbor gets a balloon and sound notification and the Host icon changer color, when I connect, he wants to give me explicit permission to take control. However, if I set that "Security > Conformation" in the Host Settings, he gets the same conformation request on every restart. A big problem since he normally wants to just leave until I'm done, while I install/uninstall/update things that require a one or more Windows Restarts.

[censored] used to require a Password to connect, but allowed restarts from their menu, and I'd still have control when it restarted.

Any ideas, workarounds, or anything?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3022)
Sep 24, 2019 4:05:57 pm EDT
Hello Robert,

Thank you for your message.

Try enabling the checkbox "Ask only if user logged on" in the Confirmation tab of the Settings dialog. This way user's confirmation will only be required if the user is logged on in Windows. In other cases, e.g. when you have just restarted the PC the confirmation will not be required.

Hope that helps.
Sep 24, 2019 5:40:41 pm EDT
Thanks, but the remote user has no password.  So, the reboot happens and it automatically logs-in.  Then it asks him for access and times-out.  Even if it didn't timeout, I'm' Trying to avoid any human action on his end.
Sep 26, 2019 2:51:59 pm EDT
Hello Robert,

What about setting "Allow after timeout" instead of "Deny after timeout". Set the timeout to, say, 30 seconds. If there is a user on the remote end they will surely see the prompt and have enough time to react. If not, then after the 30 seconds you will get connected automatically.
Sep 27, 2019 10:21:55 am EDT
Thank you Conrad,

The fact is that even though this guy gets a balloon notification, sound and the tray icon changes to red, he's nervous about stepping away for a moment while I (or someone else, as he puts it) gains access to his machine.  He wants to grant me access while he's watching there, but has no problem walking away while I perform one or more restarts if needed.

Your suggestion would allow me to gain access (after 30 seconds) even if he wasn't there at all.  Frankly, I don't know what to do with this guy now that "that other program" can't be used.  Right now, he quickly "Disables Host" every single time he boots his machine, and then re-enables it when he calls for help.  I regret the need for that extra work, but if he wants to be that paranoid I guess it's his problem.
Sep 30, 2019 1:33:34 pm EDT
Hi Robert,

I perfectly understand. Perhaps, the existing ask user permission feature in Remote Utilities is not flexible enough to accommodate for this specific scenario. Sorry for that.
Oct 01, 2019 12:09:29 pm EDT
Looking at the [T***V*****] documentation, they never mention that capability either, if you're not configured for complete unattended access. I would just use the "Restart" from the menu, and it worked every time. I have no idea how it worked, unless they left some kind of flag file on the remote system that was still there, for a limited time, after the remote rebooted.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)