Community

Group Inheritance

David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 15, 2014 11:52:37 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Seeing as how the Viewer already supports Active Directory, and most Windows administrators (I'm assuming they are the target audience of Remote Utilities) are probably quite familiar with built-in management applications like Active Directory Users and Computers and the Group Policy Management Console - inheritance only seems natural.

I'd like to be able to set things like Default Connection Settings, view options, host authorization, auto-ping values, and network usage mode for groups (instead of the entire application), and have all connections that are in that group inherit those settings.

I manage several different organizations, and this would really help organize the Viewer and make sure that connections to remote hosts are using the correct settings, while being able to tailor the connection properties for each client company or division. For instance, if I have a client that has remote employees, I'd like to be able to create a group called Remote inside the group I have defined for that company and set things like auto-ping to 60 seconds and the network usage mode to Economy. That way any other connections I add to that group will have those settings by default.

Essentially, what I'm asking for is the Default Connection Properties to not be defined for the Viewer as a whole. I'd like them to be defined for each group, and for connections and other groups beneath the parent group to optionally inherit those Default Connection Properties.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3022)
Feb 17, 2014 3:46:55 am EST
Hello David,

Added to wish list. Thanks.  

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)