Community

Quick question about endpoint license

Links used in this discussion
Chris Payne, User (Posts: 1)
Jul 22, 2021 2:01:17 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, im looking at the Pro license for managing a clinic's computers. I understand the way the upgrades work for that. But what about the endpoint licenses? do they also have to be upgraded at each new release? and if so, what if some of them are bought at the begining of the year, others and the middle, etc... how does this work for renewal? I cant imagine preventing some of the systems with the older licenses only use for example version 6, and the newer ones use version 7. Just need a bit of clarification before I proceed.

Thanks
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jul 22, 2021 9:09:02 am EDT
Hello Chris,

Thank you for your message.

But what about the endpoint licenses? do they also have to be upgraded at each new release?

Please note that our Upgrade Policy applies in the same way to all license types, i.e. the license upgrade is only needed when we release a major version (or if you want to increase the number of available concurrent techs and/or endpoints). In addition, we also guarantee free upgrade to the next major version if the current license was purchased within 12 months prior to the new major version release date. For example, previous major version 6 of Remote Utilities has been around for almost 7 years with free minor version updates, however, all our users who've purchased the license within the last year were eligible for a free license upgrade to version 7, and the ones who've purchased the license before that were eligible for a 50% discount. Our minor version updates (i.e. 6.10.10.0 or 7.0.2.0) are always free.

You do not need to upgrade Endpoint license each release as well, just like any other license - when we release a major upgrade you're either eligible for a free upgrade or a 50% discount and all minor version updates are free. For more information please also see our Upgrade Policy page.

I cant imagine preventing some of the systems with the older licenses only use for example version 6, and the newer ones use version 7.

For the Endpoint license you need to register your Viewer with a license key, not Host - just like for any other license type. In this case, you can usually upgrade your Viewer and still be able to connect to Hosts that are running previous version - we understand that updating RU installations might take time and try to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible. However, we recommend that our users (regardless of their license type) always update both Host and Viewer (as well as RU Server if used) to the latest version available in order to avoid the version mismatch that might lead to performance issues or some new/improved features not working.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)