Community

RU self-hosted server - working with free license?

Links used in this discussion
Erik Pollmann, User (Posts: 5)
Feb 09, 2022 5:32:08 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,

I am running a self-hosted server for our small company, still using the old 3.010.
Now I read that the current version of the server will require a license (we have only a free license for our viewers), so will the server work with a free license, or does it now require a paid license?

I have been bugging my boss for quite some time to get a full license anyway, yet, obviously he is right to ask if it is necessary for the current server version.

Best regards,
EP
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Feb 09, 2022 3:29:17 pm EST
Hello Erik,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, the RU Server still works for the free license users as well, although with some limitations that are basically the same as for a regular Viewer registered with a free license key:
1. Only 10 remote Hosts can be connected to the RU Server at the same time, i.e. Hosts displayed on both "Idle" and "Active" tabs of the Admin Console window.
2. Only 1 Viewer can connect to these Hosts via the Server at any given time (this does not restrict you to a specific Viewer or a workstation).
For more information please also see this guide on registering RU Server.

Hope that helps.
Feb 09, 2022 4:13:46 pm EST
So that means that only *one* viewer could connect at the same time to one of the hosts, while the "old" server allows us to have three people work simultaneously on remote machines - is that correct?

I get why buying a paid license is a good thing, but basically the functionality of the server gets reduced for "free" users when using the more recent server version, right?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Feb 10, 2022 12:58:26 pm EST
Hello Erik,

Thank you for your message.

I get why buying a paid license is a good thing, but basically the functionality of the server gets reduced for "free" users when using the more recent server version, right?

Actually, this is how the RU Server was meant to be used with the free license anyway - even before these changes were implemented, any free license key only allowed one tech to run remote sessions at any given time, so the same only one tech should've been able to connect to Hosts via this RU Server. Please also note that according to our EULA only one free license key is allowed per individual, company or organization.

Hope that helps.
Feb 10, 2022 1:07:03 pm EST
Well, as I indicated, we are just three people using remote occasionally, but I have always been able to initiate more than one session simultaneously (to e.g. two hosts, trying to fix when others have problems), and I was able to do that while another worker was connecting to a host as well.

So yes, only using the single free key for a small company. I have always rooted for getting a paid license in our company in order to show our appreciation :)
Edited:Erik Pollmann - Feb 10, 2022 1:07:32 pm EST

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)