Community

Decommisioning Old PC's - Forgot to unregister RU client

Links used in this discussion
Mark D, User (Posts: 12)
Aug 18, 2014 12:14:34 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
I recently replaced 6 PC's at a client which had RU Free installed. I just realised that I didn't unregister RU client on the PC's prior to formatting the HDD for disposal.  

Question:
- What happens if one forgets to unregister them?
- How do I know how may Free Licences the client is using/registered?.

Regards
Edited:Mark D - Aug 18, 2014 12:15:38 am EDT
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
Aug 18, 2014 7:30:21 am EDT
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your message.

Data formating includes unregistering. So no problem there. Just remove these connections from the Viewer.

If you go for Help -> License key storage you will be able to see Total/Available license count for each key in the right column.
Aug 18, 2014 8:17:56 am EDT
Hi Anton,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I checked the Licence and it shows 10/10 yet only 6 are used and in my Viewer. How do I find out where the other 4 are installed/used?

Cheers
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
Aug 18, 2014 9:22:52 am EDT
Mark,

10/10 means, that 10 Host are available. None of your Hosts are registered with that license.
Aug 19, 2014 4:22:59 am EDT
Hi Anton.
Seems strange to have 10/10 if existing 6 are registered (using same licence). Does it take time to sycn with your Servers?

Looking at the PC I can see its definitely showing as registered/

Owner: xxxxx
License count: 10
Key: xxxxx..
The number of computers on which the license key can be used: 10

If you need further info feel free to PM me.

Cheers
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Aug 19, 2014 4:57:25 am EDT
Mark,

Please, try to completely exit the Viewer (File -> Exit) , launch it again and see if the license counter shows correct numbers.

Hope that helps.
Aug 19, 2014 5:02:41 am EDT
My one shows ok. This just shows total used.  If however I have decommissioned say x3, how does the licence know this i.e. that they are no longer used and return the X3 to my count?  There is nowhere that shows the PC's that it is installed on?

Perhaps I am missing the obvious (apologies for this if this is the case)?

Cheers
Aug 19, 2014 5:07:58 am EDT

Mark D wrote:
My one shows ok. This just shows total used.  If however I have decommissioned say x3, how does the licence know this i.e. that they are no longer used and return the X3 to my count?  There is nowhere that shows the PC's that it is installed on?

Perhaps I am missing the obvious (apologies for this if this is the case)?

The mechanism is simple. The License Key Storage counter retrieves data from the address book records in your Viewer, provided that you logged into the remote PCs in question at least once.

There is no central activation server or something.
Michel Poirier, User (Posts: 7)
Nov 16, 2014 1:47:43 pm EST
Support level: Endpoint
Hi, about deleting the pc in the viewer to free a license.

If I use multiple instances of the viewer.
For example I have viewer installed on my main desktop pc. But also on my laptop for emergency support when I am on the road. And also have a few users  that uses the viewer for limited access into remote pcs.

Does this means that the pc has to deleted in all instances of the Viewer before it is freed in the license.

Thanks!

Ps. on the lighter side of things. Just struggle with connecting to a new install until I realised that in the Viewer the last digit of the Internet Id was missing.  =(
Nov 16, 2014 2:26:23 pm EST
Hello Michel

Does this means that the pc has to deleted in all instances of the Viewer before it is freed in the license.

You don't have to remove the record in your Viewers at all. Simply unregister the Host and you are done. Your Viewers will then treat that record as an expired trial and it will no longer add to your total license count.  

Ps. on the lighter side of things. Just struggle with connecting to a new install until I realised that in the Viewer the last digit of the Internet Id was missing.  =(

All is well that ends well  :)

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)