Community

RU removed by Bitdefender

Links used in this discussion
Richard Fabián, User (Posts: 2)
Jun 27, 2018 3:38:35 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello

unfortunately, Bitdefender business dont like RU at all. Im not able to use it nor install anywhere because its always blocked. I have submited all affected files to bitdefender and will see if it helps.

I still dont understand why other similar apps dot have this problem....
Attached Files
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Jun 27, 2018 3:57:34 am EDT
Hello Richard,

According to VirusTotal data BitDefender no longer treats RU files as malware. Do you have the most recent signatures update?

I still dont understand why other similar apps dot have this problem....

Not really. Other remote desktop software also suffer from false positive detections  once in a while, not necessarily from BitDefender but from other engines.
Richard Fabián, User (Posts: 2)
Jun 27, 2018 6:36:01 am EDT

Conrad wrote:

Hello Richard,

According to VirusTotal data BitDefender no longer treats RU files as malware. Do you have the most recent signatures update?

Its not problem of signatures. Home version of Bitdefender works and it uses only signatures. Business version uses more security layers and one of them detects threats and blocks normal usage of the app. Once I disable this layer app start working.

BUT

thats not solution we can accept. We cannot say to our customer turn off antivirus so we can support them remotely not because we cant tell them but mostly, customers are not able to turn it off or change.

I've checked virustotal too, and you have 9 positives, 5 of them are heavily used here in my country and 1 of them is developed here so the penetration of this one is huge. (For example another concurent solution have 0 positives)

So please, check you code or cooperate with AV companies more, so we can use your solution since its kinda unique and cool...

thank you
Jun 27, 2018 6:47:03 am EDT
Hello Richard,

We cannot say to our customer turn off antivirus so we can support them remotely not because we cant tell them but mostly, customers are not able to turn it off or change.

I perfectly understand. That wouldn't make sense.

I've checked virustotal too, and you have 9 positives, 5 of them are heavily used here in my country and 1 of them is developed here so the penetration of this one is huge. (For example another concurent solution have 0 positives)

This only tells how a/v software re-uses detections of one another. This is not the first time when once one of them thinks certain software as a "threat" , others immediately start detecting it too. Again, the current stable version of Remote Utilities (6.8.0.1) has been around for 9 months and during all that time there was just a couple of riskware detections. Then all of a sudden the same file with the same code as before started to get detected.

So please, check you code or cooperate with AV companies more, so we can use your solution since its kinda unique and cool...

We do our best to cooperate with AV companies. But unfortunately, not all of them do their best to cooperate with software vendors, and many of them don't even have a  decent false positive report form or simply won't respond.

Still, we will yet again contact BitDefender and ask them to take care of this issue.
westmindltd, User (Posts: 9)
Jun 27, 2018 7:02:56 am EDT
Support level: Starter
We are also still having trouble with BD and RU and had to quickly implement another solution to support our clients.

In 2012, we took over 2 clients [6 offices] from another IT company. They already had in place a remote access software from one of the leading companies. As AV protection, some PCs have Bitdefender and some of them Avast installed. Since we took over, we never had any issues with the software itself. None whatsoever. We just tried to install now RU again and guess what? Unable to extract the installer from our one-click-ru package. Virus detected.

Yesterday, when trying to download our custom RU, we got a message on Chrome: "This Type of File Can Harm Your Computer". It doesn't happen every time but when it does, customers are concerned. Not sure what Chrome version they're on.

Again, when trying competitive products, we don't experience any issues on machines with BD or Avast. Isn't that strange?

Your explanations and support are much appreciated however, we're still struggling with RU and I can't see end of it.
Jun 27, 2018 11:28:11 am EDT
Hello,

Yesterday, when trying to download our custom RU, we got a message on Chrome: "This Type of File Can Harm Your Computer". It doesn't happen every time but when it does, customers are concerned. Not sure what Chrome version they're on.

If you are downloading an executable (I guess it was a one-click installer) then Chrome may issue such a warning. It says that this "type of file" may harm your computer meaning that malware can often come as executables, which is true.

Again, when trying competitive products, we don't experience any issues on machines with BD or Avast. Isn't that strange?

I agree that it is strange that legitimate software gets detected by some antivirus programs and these a/v vendors fail to explain even to their own customers why they favor some antivirus programs and try to block others at all costs. Whenever we asked them this direct question there was always silence.
westmindltd, User (Posts: 9)
Jun 28, 2018 4:57:50 am EDT
Support level: Starter
No solution then. We are left in limbo with RU. Time to move on.
Jun 28, 2018 5:14:17 am EDT

westmindltd wrote:

No solution then. We are left in limbo with RU. Time to move on.

I am really sorry for BitDefender. Antivirus software is supposed to protect users, not to ruin their data and business processes.

Meanwhile, yesterday we received responses from AVG and AVAST to our false positive submissions . They acknowledged that the detection was incorrect and would be removed within 24 hours. In fact it has already been lifted according to a recent check.
Ray Carnes, User (Posts: 1)
Oct 24, 2018 12:40:15 pm EDT
Microsoft Windows Defender (Windows 10) is also flagging this as Malware:
Attached Files
Oct 24, 2018 1:45:18 pm EDT
Hello Ray,

Yes, we know about the problem and have already informed Microsoft about it. Here is a related forum thread .

P.S. Please, post your messages in related threads only. This thread is dedicated to BitDefender detection, not Microsoft's Windows Defender detection.

Thanks.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)