Community

App closes immediately on Android 11

Links used in this discussion
Trent, User (Posts: 56)
Sep 24, 2020 6:53:22 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I recently updated my Google Pixel 4a to Android 11 and see that the RU Android app now immediately closes upon launch. I tried force stopping, clearing cache, clearing user data and uninstalling/reinstalling.

It shows the logo momentarily and then immediately returns to the home screen.

Just wanted to open the discussion in case you were not aware or if there is something I can try for you!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 25, 2020 5:10:29 pm EDT
Hello Trent,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue yet. However, we will test it more extensively to see if the issue only manifests itself in certain conditions or if it's a common issue affecting devices after updating to Android 11. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We will get back to you as soon as there are any updates on the issue.
Sep 28, 2020 7:30:17 am EDT
Thanks, Polina!  Let me know if there's any further info you need from my side:

Here are more details on the device:
Android Version: 11
Android security update: September 5, 2020
Google Play system update: September 1, 2020
Baseband version: g7150-00018-200701-B-6643937
Kernel version: 4.14.170-g501c771385ff-ab6716795 #1 Tue Jul 28 22:05:21 UTC 2020
Build number: RP1A.200720.011

As I mentioned, this is a Google Pixel 4a. The phone is less than a month old.  Admittedly, I did not try the RU app prior to allowing the phone to update from Android 10 so I cannot say if it's something specific to the hardware or the Android version.

Happy to perform any experiments that you would like!
Sep 28, 2020 1:11:55 pm EDT
Hello Trent,

Thank you for the provided details.

Yes, perhaps the issue might only be specific to the Google Pixel devices as we couldn't reproduce the issue yet. However, we'll continue to further test this. I'll get back to you once there are any updates on the issue or in case if our developers request some additional information.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Brandon Bishop, User (Posts: 2)
Sep 30, 2020 3:54:32 pm EDT
Hello. I can confirm that this issue exists on my Pixel 3aXL. Android app worked perfectly until Android 11 update. Same result as Trent. Immediate crash on splash screen. Thank you.
Sep 30, 2020 4:24:34 pm EDT
Hello Brandon,

Thank you for reporting on this.

I've forwarded the information on the issue to our development department and asked them to look further into the issue. I'll get back to you soon with their reply.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Sep 30, 2020 4:35:16 pm EDT
Thanks for the confirmation, Brandon!

Polina, many thanks to you and the devs for taking a look!  Luckily, I only rarely have the need to use the mobile app so little to no inconvenience for me!

I'm happy to install a beta version to test out a fix once the devs think they have it corrected!  Just let me know!
Sep 30, 2020 5:26:10 pm EDT
Hello Trent and Brandon,

I just got an update from our development department - we will additionally test this on a newer version of the mobile Viewer to see if the issue persists there and if yes, will try to implement a fix for this. This might take some time, but we'll try to fix the issue as soon as possible.

I'll keep you updated on the issue and let you know once there are any updates on this.
Nov 17, 2020 8:18:55 am EST
Polina, I just updated to the 11.30 Android app and can confirm it is functioning normally in Android 11.  Send my thanks to the developers!
Nov 17, 2020 11:11:22 am EST
Hello Trent,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help and it works for you now!

Please feel free to post another message if you have other questions or need further assistance.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)