New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Getting address book from server to mobile app

Links used in this discussion
Marshall Kass, User (Posts: 3)
Sep 27, 2020 10:09:14 am EDT
We are using the RU server to manage the address book we all share while on the primary network.  When out of the office, I cannot log into the RU server so:
1.  How do I maintain the address book sync on my laptop with my domain server when I travel?
2.  Based on #1, is there a way to sync the address books from the server while not on the internal (local) network?
3.  How am I supposed to use the phone or tablet if there is no address book associated with it?  Can I import address from an exported address book from the RU server?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 28, 2020 4:20:47 pm EDT
Hello Marshall,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, in order to automatically sync an address book among multiple Viewers using RU Server as a central hub, you need to set up the Sync role for your RU Server. The permissions can be set on the server's side for each Viewer, so the technician that works from this Viewer can view and edit the address book contents. For more information on how to set up the Adress Book Sync role for the RU Server please refer to this guide.

1. How do I maintain the address book sync on my laptop with my domain server when I travel?
2.  Based on #1, is there a way to sync the address books from the server while not on the internal (local) network?

In order to sync the address book, you need to sign in on the Server in your Viewer - this can be done over the Internet, provided that the Server is directly accessible to your Viewers and Hosts. If this applies, then the address book is synced each time you log in to the Server in your Viewer.
In case if the Server is only accessible in your office network, you can simply leave the address book as is or even add and modify connection entries - it will be synchronized next time you sign in to the Server. Unfortunately, there's no other way to sync the address book with the server except for signing in to the Server.

3. How am I supposed to use the phone or tablet if there is no address book associated with it? Can I import address from an exported address book from the RU server?

Unfortunately, the full-fledged address book is yet to be available for the mobile Viewer app and the connection entries are only available as a drop-down list. However, we already plan to implement the address book feature in the improved version of the mobile Viewer. We cannot provide any specific ETA on this yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope that helps.
Carlos Thomas, User (Posts: 19)
Apr 30, 2022 12:50:50 pm EDT
Looking forward to the updated mobile app. The ability to access the address book would make things MUCH easier IMO.
May 04, 2022 3:27:37 pm EDT
Hello Carlos,

I've checked with our development department on the ETA for the address book availability in the mobile Viewer and an approximate ETA for it is currently within summer/fall this year. We'll do our best to make it available as soon as we can.

Hope that helps.
May 04, 2022 5:41:19 pm EDT

Pauline wrote:

Hello Carlos,

I've checked with our development department on the ETA for the address book availability in the mobile Viewer and an approximate ETA for it is currently within summer/fall this year. We'll do our best to make it available as soon as we can.

Hope that helps.

Yay! Looking forward to this! Keep up the good work!

Once this is done it's just refining and cosmetics IMO.
May 05, 2022 10:20:25 am EDT
Hello Carlos,

Yes, we actually plan to eventually revamp the mobile Viewer and implement more features, including some of the connection modes and, of course, a full-fledged synchronizable address book.

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.
Brad M, User (Posts: 21)
Oct 28, 2022 5:19:15 pm EDT
Any update on this.  I would like the address book on my phone.
Oct 28, 2022 5:41:14 pm EDT
Hello Brad,

Unfortunately, the address book for mobile Viewer is not available yet. There’s no specific ETA on this that we could provide for now.

Let us know if you have other questions.
Oct 29, 2022 10:02:42 am EDT
For some reason the saved connections on my phone were cleared. Not sure if it was due to an update or something else. A bit inconvenient. Still waiting on this.
Marshall Kass, User (Posts: 3)
Oct 29, 2022 11:58:32 am EDT
I there is no address book, how do you transfer the 200+ entries from the RU Server to them so they can access the PCs on the mobile app?  Individually?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)