Community

Auto doesn’t seem to work

Links used in this discussion
Michael Prudent, User (Posts: 11)
Sep 16, 2024 1:07:00 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have used Remote utilities for several years, and am very satisfied.  Yesterday I upgraded my OS from Windows 8.1 to 10.  Since that update, Remote Utilities does not automatically turn on when my computer reboots.  I must go in and manually "start host" in order for the remote viewer to connect to it.  I have confirmed in "settings for host" that "auto" is chosen in "service state."  What am I missing?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Sep 16, 2024 3:24:04 pm EDT
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please double-check if you have the Turn On Fast Startup feature as outlined in this guide and see if disabling it might help to resolve the issue.

Let us know if this helps.
Sep 16, 2024 4:27:44 pm EDT
Yes, I turned off that setting, restarted my computer, and Remote Utilities Host still does not auto-start.  I had to "start host" manually.
Sep 16, 2024 7:46:09 pm EDT
Hello Michael,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please double-check whether your Host installation folder was already added to the antivirus software exception list as described here? Please make sure to do so even if you're using standard Windows Defender (or Windows Security) and see is this helps to resolve the issue.

Let us know if this helps.
Sep 17, 2024 9:59:58 am EDT
Thank you so much for hanging in there with me!  I went to the Norton exceptions folder, and added the Norton Host folders (there was no entry for server or viewer).  Restarted computer, and the blue Remote Utilities icon once again did not show up in my task bar.  I had to restart it again manually.
Sep 17, 2024 6:06:56 pm EDT
Hello Michael,

Of course, we're always happy to help!

Could you please let us know what exact version of Remote Utilities you're currently using? If it's any of the older versions or even the most recent stable version 7.2.2.0, could you please try updating to the currently available beta version release 7.5 and see if this might help to resolve the issue? You can download the beta version on this page.

Let us know if the issue persists even after updating.
Sep 18, 2024 8:57:08 am EDT
I'm using 7.2.2.0.  I have had success at last!  I did not have to download the beta version.  I went back into Norton, and tried to find every way I could to allow Remote Utilities (or disallow its blocking).  Once I did that, I restarted computer, and Remote Utilities Host icon shows up in my taskbar, and even connected automatically with my remote viewer.  Thanks!
Sep 18, 2024 11:20:57 am EDT
Hello Michael,

I'm glad to hear you were able to figure out the issue and it works for you now!

Please feel free to contact us again if you have any questions or need our assistance.

Thank you.
Trent, User (Posts: 59)
Sep 19, 2024 9:24:07 am EDT
Michael, just a tip from another user... I have noticed (especially on older machines which I assume this would be since it had Windows 8), the boot up process can be a bit taxing on the computer and if the Remote Utilities Host service does not respond in a timely manner, it may not start.  Changing the startup type in the service setting from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" can help things as it will give way to some of the other services on the computer and wait an extra 30-60 seconds before attempting to start up.

It doesn't always fix the problem, but may be worth a try.
Sep 19, 2024 9:52:48 am EDT
Thank you for that tip!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)